Sep 25, 2009

Review--Personal Demons


Megan promises listeners to her new radio call-in show that she'll "slay their personal demons", and they believe her. So do the personal demons. Although she doesn't know it, Megan is the only human without a personal demon on her shoulder. This, coupled wither her psychic abilities, makes her a valuable weapon for any demon "family" that can gain her allegiance. It also makes her a serious threat--not just to the personal demons, but a soul-sucker known as The Accuser who has an old score to settle.

Megan and her allies--a demon lover who both protects and seduces her with devilish intensity, a witch with poor social skills, and three cockney guard demons--have to deal not only with The Accuser, their personal demons, and the ghosts of Megan's past, but with a reporter who threatens to destroy Megan's career.

I thought I would try a new author, at the time I needed something to read, but then came some new releases and then school came along so I got behind but I left this on my TBR pile, trying to keep the books in order, for some reason. All I can say is I am glad I did.

Stacia Kane writes a very interesting novel, her writing style is different than others that I read. I find myself at loss to explain how exactly, not only is it third person--which isn't something I see a whole lot, but there is just a different quality to it. It is easy to follow I guess. There is no confusion or anything negative to be seen.

Her characters are equally likable. Megan definitely has spunk and a lot to like about. She is very relate-able to readers. To some extent at least. She has quite a mind to her, very independent and doesn't really care for having a demon helping to protect her from other demons. She keeps thinking that he has other plans in mind for her. Some of those plans include getting her into his bed, which he clearly states!

The cockney demon guards are also entertaining! Their accents seem so real. You can actually hear the flare to their words! They were entertaining too! They each have a unique flavor to their personality.

The "witch" wasn't around for much of the book, but when she was, she was definitely interesting. She seemed so unsure of herself at times, yet she was full of power. You could tell that she wasn't someone you wanted to piss off. Great combination!

The storyline itself was entertaining as well. As the cover jacket describes Megan is being hounded by demons and personal demons alike for her practice. These guys take things a little too literally! So she has to accept the help of the demon who she is attracted to against her will while trying to maintain a normal interview with the reporter who has secrets of his own.

There are a few secrets going about in the novel, which were surprising. Maybe I'm just too open-minded when I read, when I read, I don't want to think too much so I'm not looking to see if someone is being deceptive. I might briefly think oh that's odd, but not too much. Reading is for my pleasure, so I say the secrets are surprising but that's just my opinion. If you pay close attention you might pick up on them or suspect some things. That's something I also do, if something seems to have a lot of emphasis I note that for later analysis and later on I discover that I was close to my guess!

Overall a great read! Eventually when I have the time I will read the next book in the series Demon Inside, maybe in December, once the semester is over. For now I have to start studying for a test as my "reading" and then work on a few papers. But since a new release comes out Tuesday, that might be my next read followed by Jeanne Stein's Retribution. Until next time readers!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica :)
    Excellent review.
    Thanks for sharing.
    I love Stacia Kane's writing.
    I discovered that Charlaine Harris does too!
    :)
    All the best,
    twitter: @RKCharron
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!