Jan 31, 2010

Review--Firespell


AS THE NEW GIRL AT ST SOPHIA'S BOARDING SCHOOL, LILY PARKER THINKS HER CLASSMATES ARE THE MOST MONSTROUS THINGS SHE'LL HAVE TO FACE--BUT OH, HOW WRONG SHE IS.

When Lily's parents decide to send her away to a fancy boarding school in Chicago, she is not happy. Lily's classmates are the ultrarich brat-pack type--and if that isn't enough, she's hearing and seeing bizarre things on St. Sophia's creepy campus.

The only thing keeping her sane is her roommate, Scout, but even Scout's a little weird--she keeps disappearing late at night. When a prank leaves Lily trapped in the catacombs beneath the school, Lily finds Scout, who's running from a real-life monster. Scout is part of a splinter group of rebel teens who protect Chicago from demons, vamps, and the gone-to-the-dark-side magic users called Reapers. She lets Lily in on her secret, even though Lily has no powers of her own...or at least none she's discovered yet.

Okay, I had to delay finishing this book quickly, since it is a YA. It reads pretty fast, but is still really enjoyable. I didn't have any new books to read which for me is the ultimate horror. But I found Unknown on the shelves yesterday at Borders, so all is well!

This is Chloe Neill's debut YA book, as she just debut her Chicagoland Vampires series last year as well, she is a new author who is on a roll with the books and fans of the Chicagoland Vampires will not be disappointed with this book. Set once again in the Windy City! I've only been there once, but with Chloe's wonderful details to the scenery I can easily picture the familiar places once again.

Lily has a lot to deal with as a teenager, something hinky is going on at the school and her new best friend is involved in it. She worries for Scout because she doesn't come back in until real late. Lily still wants to fit in at school and tries making friends with the wrong crowd, yes the brat-pack as Lily calls them and as is on the BOC. When an evil prank goes wrong, Lily ends up finding herself running from something very scary, something Scout was involved in. And the results are life changing.

Just because St. Sophia's an all girl school don't think that there won't be any teen romantic tension involved, for there is a nearby school that is almost the opposite of St. Sophia, wherein they house boys. And Scout knows ways to sneak out of the school to meet her friends from this place.

This book is just filled with secrets, secrets that you might guess or secrets that may even come as a surprise to you. I know the BIG one was really just shocking and something else that happened at the end puzzled me as well, but I will have to wait until the next book to find out what it was. The secrets work themselves intricately into the plot and it flows together nicely, one thing leads to another and another and soon you have just this BIG secret, that I really cannot go much further into.

The BOC kind of leads you into it, that's all I'll say!

The characters were all great, Lily is another of those characters that you can relate to who seems real. She isn't perfect, but who is? And these brat-packers? OMG, I felt like jumping into the book and decking them myself. There is a very interesting scene towards the end that involves one of them and it was verrrry entertaining.

And the boys? There are 2 main ones, Jason and Michael, and both are very entertaining as well, one who has an even bigger secret that everyone but Lily knows, and she has to either find out for herself or ask Jason. Michael is another interesting guy, who is completely hung over Scout, which is abundantly clear when we first meet him.

The book was really good, as most of my posts go, I don't like to go too far into the plot in fear of leaking spoilers, so I have to end my review here. Firespell was really entertaining and a quick read. Had I something else to read right away, I would've likely finished this book weeks ago even with school. As of now, there isn't any information regarding the second one, but there will be more, on her website, Chloe shows at least 3 books total in the Dark Elite series but none have titles so far. I'll post info about the next ones whenever I come across it.

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. This definitely sounds like my kind of thing. I'm going to have to check this out. Thanks for the review! I see a trip to the library for me in the near future.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!