May 18, 2010

Review--Magic on the Storm

"MAGIC STIRRED IN ME...I CLOSED MY EYES, WANTING TO LOSE MYSELF TO IT. WANTING TO USE MAGIC IN EVERY WAY I COULD. BUT THAT WOULD BE BAD. I HAD ENOUGH MAGIC INSIDE ME; I COULD BURN DOWN A CITY. AND I DIDN'T WANT TO DO THAT..."

Allison Beckstrom knows better than most that when magic's involved, you always pay. Whether the price is migraines, amnesia, or muscle aches, she is committed to her work as a Hound, tracing illegal spells back to their casters. But her job is about to get much more dangerous.

There's a storm of apocalyptic force bearing down on Portland and when it hits, all the magic in the area will turn unstable and destructive. To stop it from taking out the entire city, Allie and her lover, the mysterious Zayvion Jones, must work with the Authority--the enigmatic arbiters of all things magic--and make a stand against a magical wild storm that will obliterate all in its path.

OMG! Now I totally understand what Devon was saying about how things change for Allie in Magic on the Storm! I won't go into that too much because, yes you guessed it, it's too spoiler-y. But all I have to say about her latest Allie Beckstrom book is WOW! And a hint, when you get towards the end, a little past the halfway mark, the title of her next book makes so much sense that you can figure out what it will contain.

Moving on...the book opens with a light moment between Allie and Zayvion before the trouble really hits the fan. Really it comes in the form of a messenger, Shame, telling them about a meeting that is being held with the Authority and Allie and Zayvion have to be there. There is a storm coming, like the BOC says, and everyone knows this, magic-users know that this will bring trouble, so they are worried. They have to figure a way to try to harness the intensity of the storm and how it will effect the magic within their city. A little complex to explain, but it is said much more easier in the book while reading.

The storm brings nothing but troubles for Allie, even before it really hits! In the short length of time in the book, so much happens to Allie and you really have to feel for the poor gal. Her dead father still haunts her mind and when she's around her stepmother Violet, he tries to take control because he still loves her. It seems that in this book we get to see more of her father's feelings. He was a cold-hearted b*st*rd in the beginning of the series and some of that still remains in his character, but there is a soft side to him.

The relationship between Allie and Zayvion is endearing as well. They are Soul Complements and even without that connection between them, their love would still run strong. That is how deeply they care for one another runs. Zayvion was patient and kind and gentle with Allie back in books 2 and 3 when she was still trying to gain back all her memories that she lost in book 1. That kind of patience seems rare, but when reading, it comes naturally to the characters. Maybe it works like that in real life too sometimes, but every time I read something regarding the relationship between Allie and Zay, I am touched. It takes an amazing writer, and Devon is one, to do that to the readers, to really make them care about these characters in this other world.

The plot moves rather nicely, as one problem leads to another and another. Allie struggles to keep up, that poor gal needs a vacation! I don't want to say why exactly because it's a spoiler, but...no, sorry. Can't think of anything that won't lead to a spoiler. There's big trouble afoot and it's gunning for Allie is all I can vaguely come up with.

There a quite a few surprises in towards the end, particularly the last two chapters. Surprises that will be shocking. Well with BIG endings, when are there not a few surprises?

The ending also leaves you hanging a bit, I will admit but there is a section of the next book at the end of the novel as well. I skimmed it a bit, didn't want to get too enthralled and then have to wait some more. But on the bright side, if you can call it bright, the next book still comes out this year.

Magic at the Gate releases November 2, with a chance of seeing it a little early. Really, I'm only guessing. There are times when you can find a book the weekend before it comes out unless it's a hardback, there's no luck there. At least never ever for me. But Magic at the Gate will explain the something I mentioned at the beginning of this review. So never fear while reading and you come to event X. Just remember this title and you'll be okay, I had to remind myself of said title when I came to it.

Okay, better end there before I talk...err...type too much! My copy of Spirit Bound has yet to arrive. This is likely the last time I preorder something, like I mentioned earlier on my Teaser Tuesday post. Yeah, I got a great deal on the book, but now I am left waiting on release day for my copy. Hopefully it will come soon. Until then, I guess I will start Charlaine's Dead in the Family, the sooner I start and finish that, maybe Spirit Bound will get here sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!