May 5, 2010

Review--Tales of the Otherworld

Have you ever wondered how lone wolf Clayton Danvers finally got bitten by the last thing he ever expected: love? Or how the hot-blooded bad-girl witch Eve Levine managed to ensnare the cold, ruthless corporate sorcerer Kristof Nast in one of the Otherworld's most unlikely pairings? Would you like to be a fly on the wall at the wedding of Lucas Cortez and Paige Winterbourne as their eminently practical plans are upended by their welling-meaning friends? Or tag along with Lucas and Paige as they investigate a gruesome crime that looks to be the work of a rogue vampire?

Now devotees of the Otherworld can share these special moments with some of their favorite characters--as well as discovering deeper insights into the lives of the lesser-known players. But even readers new to the Otherworld universe will find much to love in these eight tales of friendship, adventure, and enduring romance. For when the superhuman men and women of the Otherworld set their minds to a task, they do so with fierce passion and an undivided sense of purpose that make them, in the end, very much human.

Due to my trip last week I had a slower time reading Tales of the Otherworld, but what was great about the momentary lapse in reading was that this is a collection of short stories and I hit a stopping point between stories, but I was ever so glad to read the rest of them now!

The story that intrigued me the most definitely had to be Beginnings, where we learn how Clay and Elena met as the inside flap tells us. Clay and Elena are by far my favorite Otherworld couple. And seeing their relationship from the beginning was sweet. Normally I'm not sappy when it comes to romance, I roll my eyes, but their story was touching. I must be too involved in the Otherworld to care so much about the beginning of their relationship.

Another story of intrigue was Bewitched which tells us how Eve and Kristof met and fell in love. Again, another endearing story of first love and I enjoyed it. I liked seeing this softer side to Eve. Of course I saw that in Haunted as well when she had a full-length novel to tell, but still hearing of how she met Kris was very interesting.

The other stories were good as well, we see how Logan came to be in the Pack from the beginning, what led him to Jeremy's doorstep in Birthright. It took me awhile to remember who he was and then of course after I remembered the answer came up in Ghosts which was basically a very short story from Jeremy as he recalled certain events from the pasts, hence the title Ghosts. And this story took place from his p.o.v. during Bitten, which makes a lot of sense once you get reading it.

Another story I remembering reading while it was still online was Aaron's story of becoming a vampire, Rebirth. It was still enjoyable. I still want to know what Cassandra's story, I asked Kelley about it last week and she said she was still waiting for Cass to tell her as well, but maybe someday. I will be waiting!

There was another story Expectations that has Lucas and Eve having an encounter together, after she left Kris and was a bad-a$$. Savannah was there too, but only in passing. It was interesting as well, Lucas was trying to steal something that Eve likely stole. It was sort of a smaller short story, but still good.

The newer story Wedding Bell Hell was good, having to remember this likely took place after Industrial Magic, and other things happening after that with Paige and Lucas, we get to see what their wedding was like. Well, the planning part mostly, but overall still a good NEW story. Yes this was the NEW one that was never online prior to the book's publishing.

The last one, I remember seeing online but couldn't stare at the screen long enough to read it, The Case of the El Chupacabra, it was a nice little murder mystery that once again helped set up more in Paige and Luca's life. We learn how their business got started and we got to see Cassandra again.

Overall this stories were all very good and fabulous. I love getting these backstories or stories that happened on the side of the novels. It's fun to see that the characters are still doing things off the page. And I love the back stories! I love knowing how the characters go to where they are now!

My TBR pile is going to be rearranged a bit since there are a few books I got last week that I want to read and then there will likely be new releases I can NOT wait to read, so my ordering will be messed up completely. I was trying to read them as they came out which is not at all possible now. Plus I have other obligations that will be vying for my time, like writing and the now ever so fun challenge of trying to find a new job.

Stay reading readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!