Jun 2, 2010

Review--Daemon's Mark


WEREWOLF HOMICIDE DETECTIVE LUNA WILDER GUARDS THE FINE LINE THAT SEPARATES NOCTURNE CITY'S HUMANS FROM THE WERES AND WITCHES THAT ROAM ITS STREETS. NOW, LUNA MUST THWART A NEW EVIL MORE DANGEROUS THAN ANYTHING SHE'S EVER ENCOUNTERED.

Someone, or something, is setting fire to the homes of the city's most infamous non-humans, racking up a body count that's growing by the day. And strange, otherworldly creatures no one has seen before--selkies, trolls, and harpies--are causing chaos throughout the city. Racing to stop the carnage, Luna turns to sexy federal agent Will Fagin for help. As they work to uncover the source of the bloodshed, Luna's attraction for Will deepens. But just as she learns Will's darkest secret, Nocturne City is thrust into total chaos--leaving Luna and Will in a path of destruction they may not be able to stop...or survive.

Okay just typed this BOC up and it sounded so off from the actual book content and when I checked Witch Craft, the last Nocturne City book, I found my answer. This BOC on the back of Daemon's Mark is the BOC of Witch Craft. Odd...and amazingly, all I can find on the web is that same description at all the book websites. Here's a very short, simple and basic description from Borders:

Homicide detective Luna Wilder is captured by paranormal slave traders and brought face to face with her old love, in this thrilling new Nocturne City novel.

Not as lengthy or detailed, but it pretty much sums it up in simple, bland terms.

Okay, despite that weirdness onto the review. This was really a good read, I got it finished in two days really and I was on the edge of my flu or whatever and I really couldn't put the book down once I got to the point of Luna being captured. She started out investigating a murder of a young Were (I'm going to capitalize it so it's easy to tell it's werewolf), who was only 14 or 15. Her parents are supposedly powerful Weres as well, but not necessarily Alpha material, but still Pack Weres unlike Luna.

The case becomes all consuming as Luna is determined to track down the girl's killer, for whoever could literally rip the heart out of someone so young deserves to die in her eyes (mine too). But the case soon leads her into trouble as she gets tangled up in some sort of mob or just slave trader business. And soon she finds herself kidnapped and on a boat in a crate going to who-knows-where with other Were women.

And as the Borders description says, she comes face to face with her old love. I can't recall the country now, I know I should know it, but I finished this a few hours ago and then went to get out of the house, it wasn't quite Russia...or was it? No matter, but "old love" should really tell you who it is and I won't confirm or deny it.

Luna is now one of the kidnapped she was trying to, in theory, save. And the kidnappers are real sickos too. Kittredge writes wonderfully, I love love Luna's attitude, she's mouthy and sassy and isn't afraid to speak her mind and most definitely fights back. She is seriously one tough chick and when she lets her Were take control in her most desperate hour of need, she's not totally sure she will be the same Luna anymore.

She becomes filled with worries and doubts, that maybe she won't be able to save the people she needs to save and that Will may no longer want her. Her character is really deep and complex, which makes her real, anger included.

Overall it was a wonderful read with many-many surprises. There was an interesting relationship development between her and Will as some time as gone by since Witch Craft. And there was another interesting and intriguing surprise as well, two more actually...well really more than that. Let's just say there are a handful of spoiler-worthy surprises in this book that were really great and gripping. I cannot wait to see what trouble Luna gets into next time and you know with Luna there is bound to be trouble!

3 comments:

  1. Great review.I got this book in the mail yesterday and can't wait to start it.
    I'm pretty sure this is the last book in the series though.
    I hope it didn't end with unanswered questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can't be the last book! :(

    I mean once you read it, you'll see what I mean, but there's no way Caitlin could leave us like that! Now I'm worried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read on her blog that this is the last book in the series.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!