Jul 30, 2010

Review--A Glimpse of Evil


SOME COLD CASES ARE BETTER LEFT COLD...

As the FBI's newest civilian profiler, Abby Cooper has a tough job ahead of her. Not only does she have to use her powers of intuition to help solve a backlog of the bureau's cold cases, but she must also wun over a frosty group of seasoned investigators and teach them how to develop their own perceptive abilities.

If that weren't challenging enough, Abby's sure that several of the cold cases are connected, but she's the only one who's convinced. Things go from bad to worse when Abby and another agent are suspended for not following protocol, leaving Abby and her old partner, Candice, to investigate on their own. To discover how these pieces fit together, Abby will have to call on every intuitive bone in her body...before she's the one put on ice.

I have to say that I just love Victoria Laurie's mystery series, both Ghost Hunter and Psychic Eye! And A Glimpse of Evil is another great addition to the latter.

Abby and Dutch move to Texas for the new division of the FBI specializing in cold cases. The perfect job for Abby, yet it's nowhere near as perfect as she would think. First off most of the other detectives treat her with hostility and disdain. She doesn't score many points for being Dutch's girlfriend and friend of Brice, the "boss". But that's only the beginning.

Abby uses her intuition to look over some of the cold cases instead of doing it in the "approved" manner which makes some of the others still a little disgruntled. Yet Abby doesn't let that faze her.

Soon she is put into the field with one of the detectives to look into one of the cases she helped put together to be "solvable". But when matters take a turn for the worse, Abby and the other detective are put on suspension, which is when Abby teams up with Candice to look into some cold case murders involving young girls.

The mystery was well paced, looking at people involved with each of the murders of the young girls, talking to family members and trying to find a hint of a clue or suspect. But there isn't much luck to be had with these cold cases. But Abby's intuition is working over time, because she believes these cases can be solved.

There are other cold cases that connect into her set of murder victims and Abby can't seem to figure out the connection.

It was written rather well, for I didn't really put anything together until the end when more "evidence" came in and was able to solve it and figure out part of the "who-done-it".

There was also more emphasis on Candice and Brice's relationship as that came up quite a bit. And Abby and Dutch's as well. Some surprises come along that you might be able to guess at as you read along. But still it was nice to have my guesses confirmed in the end. And boy was there an ending! It leads you right into where the next Psychic Eye mystery will take off. Abby is one busy girl!

I love Abby too! She is such a fun character! She is also trying to cut back on her swearing, something I have trouble with myself! And her alternative use of language is quite comedic at times because you can still figure out what she wants to say. A lot of Abby's friends are here as well despite her move south of Michigan. But it was still nice to see some familiar faces.

And while there is a sneak peek at the next Psychic Eye mystery, Eye Spy. I had to resist reading it because it doesn't release until July 2011. And sometimes a sneak peek is really just a cruel teaser! Although, I have been known to fall victim to them anyway! Oh well, there are times when I just don't have any willpower! Overall I give it 5/5 stars!

And since my copy of Waking the Witch still hasn't come, errgh!, I have decided to pick up one of the books that's been in my TBR pile for awhile now, next up I have Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready, and I've been told by a few online friends that it is an amazing read! Sure enough when I start this book I will likely find Waking the Witch in tomorrow's mail, how much do you want to bet? ;)

Until next time readers! And don't forget about my current contest I'm holding. Click here for details! Spread the word!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I have been dying to read this series for a while, I just never got around to it. I will look into it soon now though! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!!

    I havent read this series yet, but it sounds cool! =)

    I finished Waking the witch this friday... sooooo good! I hope you love it! =D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!