Jul 13, 2010

Review--Kitty Goes to War


Kitty Norville, alpha werewolf and host of The Midnight Hour, a radio call-in show, is contacted by a friend at the NIH"s Center for the Study of Paranatural Biology. Three army soldiers recently returned from the war in Afghanistan are being held at Fort Carson in Colorado Springs. They're killer werewolves--and post-traumatic stress has left them unable to control their shape-shifting and unable to interact with people. Kitty agrees to see them, hoping to help by bringing them into her pack.

Meanwhile, Kitty gets sued for libel by CEO Harold Franklin after featuring Speedy Mart--his nationwide chain of twenty-four-hour convenience stores with a reputation for attracting supernatural unpleasantness--on her show.

Very bad weather is on the horizon.

Finished Kitty Goes to War today. It wasn't too bad, wasn't spectacular either. Unfortunately not too much happens that really grabs at you.

Overall it was still interesting even with a little too much detail to the military aspects, but still interesting. But some of it just felt like Kitty wasn't neck deep into trouble like she usually is. The libel suit against her is where the trouble comes from that involves any danger, which is surprising compared to the uncontrollable werewolves that she has on her hands.

The werewolves become the main problem and pretty much one of them is written off as hopeless right away leaving only two for her to deal with. But these wolves have been through a lot because their current alpha is unstable, the one who changed them we learn early on is dead. As are the rest of their pack by rule of this new alpha. We get to see another kind of dark side to being a werewolf in this book. We saw that dark side earlier on with Kitty's old alpha who is long since gone.

Kitty's pack returns with some key appearances that help to make the story a little more interesting, as Kitty is trying to help the two other werewolves adjust to being a wolf in a normal healthy way, yet the rest of her pack doesn't quite trust them due to an "event" that happened early on when Kitty was first called to help.

The other issue at hand with the Speedy Marts becomes a little interesting because there were speculations about something supernatural being involved which turns out to be true, we just don't know what yet. Kitty was speculating when she was talking about this on her radio show and when the CEO decides to sue, it causes a spark of interest for what is there to hide?

Cormac returns again, more fully this time as he helps Kitty out in investigating the Speedy Mart issue. I loved Cormac's character before, but prison has changed him. He's not the same Cormac anymore, which really becomes evident throughout this book in little telltale signs. I think it was in Kitty and the Silver Bullet when an issue came up concerning Cormac and that issue is revisited again. I remembered it because at the time in that book, I was wondering what was going on in the prison. And the answer is finally revealed in Kitty Goes to War.

There wasn't much for romance in this book, which I can't necessary complain since I'm not big on romance. There were a few kisses here and there, but that was it. It felt a little wrong to me almost because of how the relationship between Kitty and Ben developed, now things are calm. Which isn't wrong, there just wasn't any intensity like there was in earlier books.

Overall it was an okay read. One of my friends online even warned me about this, but still I had to give it a try. Again, it was more interesting seeing Kitty deal with the Speedy Mart issue rather than the uncontrollable werewolves. I would still read the next Kitty book and I would still say read this if you want to. When you have nothing else to read. I don't want to say it was horrible, because I realize how much goes into writing a novel, I just couldn't get into as much as I've had with the past Kitty books. Vaughn had several releases this year and maybe Kitty got a little slighted this time around. But still it was a decent read. I really did enjoy seeing Cormac back in action and cannot wait to find out more about his current situation.

Getting into Low Red Moon now and it's amazing so far. It's a different kind of werewolf book so far and I'm loving it!

1 comment:

  1. Love the Kitty Norville series and the fact that this book lacks the usual punch doesn't fully surprise me. I believe this is the 8th? book from this series and while I hate to see a good thing end sometimes you need to in order not to ruin the gold you've got going.

    Sorta like Vincent's Shifters series. I'm totally bummed that this series is ending (just finished book 5) but I think it's the perfect timing. Vincent did such a good job with carrying a strong arch through and I feel like if she wrote more that it could take away from the goodness.

    That's what I hate about series. I love when they are good, but I hate when they end and I hate when they go on too long and one gets bored.

    Good review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!