Sep 13, 2010

Review--Demons Not Included by Cheyenne McCray (Book 5 in Reading Challenge)


NO DANGER IS TOO SEDUCTIVE.

Meet Nyx. This half-human, half-Drow private eye investigates paranormal crimes by day and is an elite Tracker of demons by night. She prefers working solo--and playing rough. So when a terrifying force starts murdering innocent humans and paranorms, leaving behind strange demonic symbols, it's a case Nyx takes very personally...

Meanwhile, Nyx's fellow Trackers are being killed one by one--and a sexy new Tracker named Torin is shadowing her every move. Torin has powers Nyx can't read, and sometimes she wonders whose side he's on. Nyx's instincts tell her something's brewing in the city's meanest supernatural streets, and that it's ready to unleash hell on Earth. Who can she trust? Now it's five minutes to permanent midnight...and Nyx's last chance means risking everything--even her own life.

Lately I've been seeing the covers for Cheyenne McCray's Night Tracker novels and I'll admit they had me intrigued so I decided to give them a try. Starting with Demons Not Included, of course.

It was pretty darn good too. Some of the beginning details are fuzzy since I was reading them while at the beginning of my cold which is slowly going away now, but when I picked it back up today! WOW! I was blown away. I was wondering why it took me so long to finish the book, then again being sick chimed in, whatever!

I loved it! It was very exciting. There was a little bit of info confusion for me in the beginning. Just trying to get use to how the supernaturals are in the book. Who's good and who's bad. The glossary in the front of the novel was helpful and a little funny since some of the creatures didn't really have a description according to Nyx. It was based on her knowledge.

Nyx was a great character! Still a little confused with her identity, being half Drow or one of the Dark Elves. But with most of the terminology and things like that, it's always best to just roll with it. During the day Nyx is a normal human being and by night she transforms into her Drow side. You learn this very quickly, so I don't think of it as a spoiler and the BOC tells you this too, I'm just detailing it a bit!

She works with other Trackers to keep their city, NYC safe. There are a few humans in the know, they are known as liaisons. And one is Adam, a cop that Nyx works with often and lately has been building feelings towards.

There is a little more romance in here than I'm use to, but it didn't bother me a whole lot. I don't want to get into all of it, because that does lead to spoilers. So before I type out something I shouldn't, I'll leave the details alone. But there was quite a bit of romance in here and it wasn't bad. I'd call it steamy, but I don't read a lot of romance-y things, so it might be tamed for the PNR lovers.

The overall story arc was good too. Nyx is trying to track down demons that are slaughtering her friends. The mystery element is huge here! Then the mysterious Torin guy comes in and Nyx can't make heads or tails of him. Neither could I! I was surprised again and again with certain elements to the storyline and never saw any of it coming.

The book didn't end too HEA either, it actually sets you up for the next book, No Werewolves Involved, which is going on my To Buy list! Don't know when I will actually get around to it since my TBR pile is still pretty tall and just keeps growing!

Overall the book was fantastic! My opinion on the beginning is muddled as I said due to my cold, but it did pick up. There was a nice steady pace that had me wanting to read on to solve the mystery and see if my guesses were correct or not--they weren't! The characters were all engaging and interesting too. Olivia, Nyx's human partner in the PI business, was just great! Loved her and her many shirts! Read the book and you'll know what I mean unless you have already read it!

I give it 4/5 stars!

This was my fifth book in the September Spectacular Reading Challenge! I'm ahead of the game! Wasn't sure if that would happen or not in the beginning but I keep coming across so many GREAT reads that it takes no time at all to finish them! Let's see if I can possibly double the number of books that are meant to be read!

And I FINALLY got Blameless today!! I saw last night a Borders a little farther from me had it so I reserved it and picked it up this morning. Will start reading it later this afternoon! So excited! Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Great review! Looks good! Thanks for joining the september Spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your blog on the September Spectacular site and thought I'd stop by to say hello. A great review but I'm not familiar with drows (google here I come)Anyway, nice to have met you, I've enjoyed visiting.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!