Sep 2, 2010

Review--Hallowed Circle by Linda Robertson (Book 2 in Reading Challenge)


AND YOU THINK BEAUTY PAGEANTS ARE SCARY?

Persephone Alcmedi has been persuaded to compete for the position of High Priestess of the Cleveland, Ohio, coven--now that the former priestess, Vivian Diamond, has strangely gone missing. Unfortunately, there are a few small problems with the idea. Not only does Seph know rather more about Vivian's disappearance than the other witches realize, but the epic struggle she's just survived has left her with some highly unusual powers--ones that could be dangerous to reveal. Despite her reluctance, she agrees to participate, if only to prevent snooty Hunter Hopewell, an obnoxious but talented witch, from ending up in the winner's circle. Can Seph hide her secrets--including her connection to the master vampire-wizard Menessos--from the terrifyingly wise judges? Plus, there's her rock 'n' roll werewolf boyfriend, Johnny, and some angry fairies to deal with...

Once the competition begins, a finalist turns up dead. It looks as if one of the contestants is willing to do anything--including murder--to win. Suddenly Seph has even more on her plate than she thought: from solving a murder to working out what her new powers really are...and exactly why they're creating so much havoc in her love life.

**SPOILERS FROM VICIOUS CIRCLE**

Got a little ahead of myself in my September Spectacular Reading Challenge and finished week 2's book already and I only started it last night only getting 50 pages in. All I can say is that today I could not put Robertson's Hallowed Circle down! At all!

Hallowed Circle was picked up a few weeks after Vicious Circle and life is slowing moving on for Seph and her family. Beverley is still coping with her mother's death and Seph is still coping with all that happened in Vicious Circle, thusly her taking back the stain and still being connected to the vampire, Menessos.

Her love life is still a little rocky. She admits to her feelings for Johnny more and more, but there are still quite a few challenges for her to overcome. But not for lack of trying. Johnny still wants her and he is still filled with quick and witty innuendos that crack me up. It's refreshing too, that Seph can laugh and still get red-faced when they happen. As an outsider I laugh, but if it were me in her position I would definitely be blushing as well.

The first few chapters build up to the the task Seph will have to perform. Being in the competition for High Priestess. It's nearing Halloween so there's preparation for that, including an entertaining scene with Seph and Johnny involving pumpkin guts!

Then the main chunk of the book takes place at the testing place. Where the mystery takes place. And what a mystery it is. A place that should be secured well and someone in the competition is murdered and no one will be able to guess this one! I thought I had it, but WOW! It was definitely mystery worthy!

One new character, Hunter, you just love to hate because she's a little too self-involved, but the character development behind that is done remarkably well!

There was more development on Seph's destiny of being the Lustrata. Some details behind that and other parts connected to it make the reading a little confusing, but mostly I just tried to roll with it. After all Seph is still learning about this too.

There are also more developments with Johnny. I won't say what, but just try to recall the Tarot reading Nana had done for him in Vicious Circle. That comes back up again and is important.

The ending was surprising. There was still a nice conclusion and wrap up, but there will definitely be more problems on the horizon and I can't wait to find out what those are!!

Overall I give the book 4/5 stars!

And since I have yet to find a copy of Blameless, I'm moving on to Fatal Circle. Hmm...perhaps I should change my "next up" picture since I'm not having any luck at all in finding a book that should have been released yesterday. Sigh...

This was my second book, that I finished early, for the September Spectacular Reading Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. I love this series. The third book is even better than the 2 previous ones. The worst thing is that you'll have to wait until January for the fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sequel was awesome! I saving Fatal circle to read on the plane during my trip next week LOL =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!