Sep 20, 2010

Review--Paranormalcy by Kiersten White (Book 8 in Reading Challenge)


VAMPIRES
I SEE THINGS YOU CAN'T SEE.
WEREWOLVES
I FIND THINGS THAT HUNT YOU.
FAERIES
I AM YOUR PROTECTOR.
SHAPESHIFTERS
BUT EVEN I CAN'T PROTECT YOU NOW.

Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shapeshifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal.

Despite having had a monstrous headache all weekend long that has continued on to today, I managed to start and finish Kiersten White's debut Paranormalcy. And it was quite enjoyable!

I had been hearing good things about the book and I got curious. So when I received a good 40% off coupon from Borders plus my "plus membership" discount, I thought I would give it a try despite my growing TBR pile. And as I said I finished it in one day...with a lingering headache. Go me!

Evie is quite a character. From other reviews I read, I almost wondered if I was going to like her at all with her obsession for pink frilly things and being a bit of a girlie-girl. But I actually did like her! She was full of surprises. Yes, she was all about pink and was obsessed with a teen drama show, but that's what made Evie, Evie. She was also quite spunky and energetic. She could easily make you laugh with her attitude and I did find myself LOLing...which almost wasn't too smart since my niece was napping right next door. Opps!

The other characters were engaging as well. Such as her ex-boyfriend, the faerie, Reth. He was too mysterious for me. Way such. And kind of creepy. Faeries here were a little eerie. They were supposed to be helping the IPCA, but like all dangerous things supernatural, we the readers should know to never trust them completely. And Evie didn't. Reth was almost stalkerish in the book, which just amped up his creepiness for me.

Now Lend, the shapeshifter, on the other hand was completely adorable! I totally fell for him as easily as Evie did. He was a sweetheart and the way Evie's feelings developed for him over the book felt real. Of course she already thinking she might be in love with him was a little over the top, but whatever. 16 is 16 and I guess 16 year-olds can truly fall in love.

The storyline was definitely intriguing for there is something out there in the world killing paranormals. I mean this has to be something big and powerful for it to accomplish this task. Which amplifies the danger involved and Evie finds herself in the middle of things as does Lend, but that's another part of the story!

Not getting too into the details, Evie learns more about herself than she ever thought possible. Her past is muddled, she doesn't know much about her life before working for the IPCA and somethings get revealed about her identity, but it is still a little confusing, because you don't really learn the extent of everything, but still it will make for great learning and story lines for the next book which I can't wait to read!

Overall I give the book 4/5 stars! Another GREAT read!

This was my 8th book in the September Spectacular Reading Challenge. As I said before I am trying to DOUBLE the number of books to be read! I think it might actually be possible since I am 8/10 now and moving onto book 9! Of course I likely won't start it til tomorrow since my head still hurts.

Until next time readers!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, I have been wanting to read this one. Good to hear some confirmation on Evie being a good MC

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog (From CEP)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also participating in the September Spectacular Challenge. The second review of this book I've read this morning, thanks for sharing your views.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!