May 2, 2011

Review--E-ARC Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready

Aura’s life is anything but easy. Her boyfriend, Logan, died, and his slides between ghost and shade have left her reeling. Aura knows he needs her now more than ever. She loves Logan, but she can’t deny her connection with the totally supportive, totally gorgeous Zachary. And she’s not sure that she wants to.
Logan and Zachary will fight to be the one by her side, but Aura needs them both to uncover the mystery of her past—the mystery of the Shift.

As Aura’s search uncovers new truths, she must decide whom to trust with her secrets…and her heart.

I received this e-ARC from Simon & Schuster for review

When I saw this e-ARC up for grabs I decided to give it a go, since I only somewhat liked Shade, Jeri Smith-Ready's Shift kind of goes into that same category. It wasn't a horrible read, but I did find myself not thoroughly loving it at times.

First off, it's been months since I read Shade, so my memory is really fuzzy and took longer for me to get caught up then it usually does. And a lot of interesting things happen in Shift that make it worth reading, it just takes awhile for some of those things to happen. A good portion of the middle kind of drags into nothingness, where this isn't a whole lot of action, just nothing really.

I was kind of angry at Aura in the beginning, when she and Zach were trying to make a relationship work. She was still hung up on Logan in some ways and it just nagged at me that she wouldn't let go of him, I understand it to be hard to let go of someone you love, but the way Aura handled it just nagged at me. I wanted her to commit to Zach.

Then comes the slow moving stuff where not too much supernatural or ghostly things happen. But things really do get interesting a little past the halfway point. We learn a whole lot of the secrets that have been floating around Aura. Stuff about her mom, her unknown father...

All very interesting and which made the book still a worthy read if not a super great one. The ending is sort of cliffhanger-ish, but not incredibly horrid that will make the wait agonizing. There are a few loose-ends that leave me wanting to know more so I might have to look into book 3 when it releases next.

Overall rating is then 3/5 stars, so it can go either way, feels really middle ground to me. Am really curious to see where more of the mystery of Aura's parents lead of course and the whole Shift situation!

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I really didn't enjoy the book that much either. Aura drove me crazy with her indecisiveness!

    Thanks for sharing your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Jess!

    I actually loved this book! =) Thanks for an honest review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!