Jun 16, 2014

Review--Spellcaster by Cara Lynn Shultz

After breaking a centuries-old romantic curse, Emma Connor is (almost) glad to get back to normal problems. Although, it's not easy dealing with the jealous cliques and gossip that rule her exclusive Upper East Side prep, even for a seventeen-year-old newbie witch. Having the most-wanted boy in school as her eternal soul mate sure helps ease the pain--especially since wealthy, rocker-hot Brendan Salinger is very good at staying irresistibly close...

But something dark and hungry is using Emma's and Brendan's deepest fears to reveal damaging secrets and destroy their trust in each other. And Emma's crash course in uberspells may not be enough to keep them safe...or to stop an inhuman force bent on making their unsuspected power its own.





Spellcaster concludes Cara Lynn Shultz's Spellbound duology and it was a fascinating read! I totally fell in love with Emma's humor in Spellbound, and it only continues with Spellcaster! Emma is just such a fun character. I know it seems like we see the unpopular teen being a main character a lot, but Emma truly stands out as being different. Her snarkiness is just so relatable and she never lets the bullies get her down.

Four months have gone by since the events of Spellbound. Anthony is pretty much AWOL and life at Vince A is just moving on. Until it becomes apparent that Emma's got a new enemy to contend with. One she didn't even see coming. I felt like I knew who this enemy was though before we even really knew it. There were hints pointing us in the right direction and I was able to pinpoint the new threat. Of course, there was still so much to learn about this person and why they felt the need to reign unholy hell all over the place.

It was quite the exciting read! Cara doesn't do anything half baked here. There is real danger threatening Emma and Brendan. Not just the "do what I say or else!" kind of threats, but some seriously bad mojo! Like Emma getting attacked by a knife-wielding maniac or Brendan getting possessed by a demon! There are no bounds to what Cara will put her characters--and readers!--through!

I truly enjoyed reading this duology! I loved Emma and Brendan! Their romance was so sweet. I liked how it was intense between them but on a different level from what we sometimes see in YA. Cara definitely surprised me by the outcome but I have to say that I absolutely loved it! I loved that it went in another direction from what we expected! I am sad to see this series end so soon, because I will definitely miss Emma and Brendan!

The characters in this series were just awesome! Emma and Brendan were of course, phenomenal! Kristin remained the ever uber-beatch that you just loved to hate and I was quite happy with more than one little "event" that happened regarding her! Angelique remained the ever dutiful friend who was faithful and there for Emma in the chaos that occurred! And Cisco was another delight! He took up a different role that had me smiling at the end! And not to mention Liam and Ashley! While there were hints to what was happening, we never got to actually see much other than what Emma saw, but I liked what I was seeing! It was simply sweet!

Another surprise was seeing Angelique taking over the story for a chapter or two! I loved it though! Some pretty serious stuff happened in those two chapters and I liked seeing it from her point of view! I liked getting inside her head! She's quite the character and I loved her personality as well!

Spellcaster was just an amazing end to the duology. You simply couldn't have asked for better! I liked that the ending while final, does seem a bit open-ended! Who knows if there will ever be more adventures in Emma and Brendan's future, but I like knowing that they are definitely in their happily ever after...but with room for more chaos should fate decree it! (Like a novella maybe since Cara has started a new series!) A fantabulous read that I highly recommend for all fans of Paranormal YA!


Overall Rating 5/5 stars





5 comments:

  1. I haven't heard lots about these books, but I def. like that there are only two of them. So many series out there! Great review. I'm adding them to the wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved these books too! I agree the ending was open-ended so I still have hope for a third (fingers crossed).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so great! I bet I'd these. I've added the first to my to-read list. Thanks so much for a great review :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to read this books, but they sound great! Glad you enjoyed them, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great review. Really really need to read this series.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!