Aug 2, 2017

Review--A Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet

Catalia "Cat" Fisa is a powerful clairvoyant known as the Kingmaker. This smart-mouthed soothsayer has no interest in her powers and would much rather fly under the radar, far from the clutches of her homicidal mother. But when an ambitious warlord captures her, she may not have a choice…

Griffin is intent on bringing peace to his newly conquered realm in the magic-deprived south. When he discovers Cat is the Kingmaker, he abducts her. But Cat will do everything in her power to avoid her dangerous destiny and battle her captor at every turn. Although up for the battle, Griffin would prefer for Cat to help his people willingly, and he's ready to do whatever it takes to coax her…even if that means falling in love with her.







Amanda Bouchet’s A Promise of Fire was quick to make its way to my favorite list! Within mere pages I was already rooting for Cat and loving her overall personality and pizazz! She’s fierce, a little sarcastic, but overall a lovable heroine! When her world collides with Griffin’s, things get interesting real fast! This is a read I think a lot of readers would enjoy, it’s the perfect fantasy read!

Cat has been living with the circus for quite a few years now, ever since she managed to escape the prison that was her home since she was a child. Cat also has a unique set of abilities. To put it mildly, she’s the Kingmaker. That doesn’t necessarily mean she can make someone a king, but with her abilities she’s a force to be reckoned with and having her on your side can mean good things for you. Unless you do what Griffin does and kidnap her.

Griffin’s family recently took over a nearby country and he was sent a dream by Poseidon that if he were to obtained the Kingmaker than it would mean his family could rule peacefully. His bright idea, naturally, is to find the Kingmaker and kidnap them. I was actually a little surprised with his so-called plan! I mean why not ask her to come and work with them? Obviously, we wouldn’t have such an engaging and delightful story if that was the case. It’s not surprising to say that Cat is not a willing or compliable hostage!

It also doesn’t take long for something to start brewing between Cat and Griffin. Though Cat tries hard to fight it. And I actually like that she fights it. Griffin did kidnap her and shortly after he thinks romance or something could be possible? That Cat isn’t completely immune to his charms is also pleasing! But soon we learn that Cat’s history is also what holds her back from falling completely for Griffin.

There was just a little bit about her childhood history and what happened to her that left me a tiny bit confused. I mean I understood the majority of it, but there was still a few flecks of some of the world-building regarding the other countries that I didn’t quite grasp. But it really didn’t effect my enjoyment of this one.

I rarely like to compare books to one another, but I can easily say that fans of Maria V. Snyder’s Study books will easily enjoy this series! Cat is also a strong-willed heroine that readers can readily root for! She’s a bit more sarcastic than Yelena was, but I can still see these two being the best of friends in another world! There’s also Flynn and Kato to consider as these two totally reminded me of Ari and Janco! Cat is quick to befriend these two and the friendship that develops between them is really endearing!

The inclusion of the Greek gods in this one both wowed and puzzled me a bit. I always loved Greek mythology and seeing however small inclusion of them woven into the story delighted the nerd in me! Though I couldn’t quite place where we were since the countries were fictional ones. But as I tend to do, when reading and things don’t quite make sense, I roll with it!

I’m also happy to say that this one didn’t end with a cliffhanger! Sure we possibly have some wonderings as to what will happen with Cat and Griffin next! I feel like we have an idea of the conflicts to come, but for now I am basking in the glow of a truly amazing read and already itching to read the next one!



Overall Rating 5/5 stars 





 

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I got to work on this little book a bit when I interning Sourcebooks. I'm so glad that you enjoyed it ^_^

    Thanks for sharing,
    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear you enjoyed this one. I found it a little bit cheesy but the story was so addictive I didn't mind it too much XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to see that you loved this one!! The sequel is (at least in my opinion) even better. This series is definitely one of my favorites, and I cannot wait until the third book comes out! You'll see more of Flynn and Kato in the sequel too, which is tons of fun. I'll have to check out Snyder's series now that you said it was a bit similar! Great review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you loved this one, Jessica! I have really enjoyed this series so far.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!