May 25, 2018

Review--The Replaced by Kimberly Derting

Romantic and action-packed, The Replaced is the gripping second installment in the Taking trilogy.

Kyra hasn't been the same since she returned from her mysterious five-year disappearance. Now, on the run from the NSA, Kyra is forced to hide out with others who, like her, have been Returned. Yet she is determined to find Tyler, the boy she loves who was also abducted—all because of her. When her group intercepts a message that Tyler might still be alive but is in the hands of a shadowy government organization that experiments on the Returned, Kyra knows it's a risk to go after him. What if it's a trap? And worse, what if the returned Tyler isn't the same boy she lost?

Perfect for fans of The Fifth Wave and the Body Finder series, The Replaced is both chilling and explosive, with creepy, otherworldly elements and twisty, psychological thrills that will have you questioning what exactly it means to be human.


I finally got around to reading Kimberly Derting’s The Replaced! Better late than never right? Naturally, my scattered mind couldn’t recall too much about The Taking other than the general plot and what the cliffhanger ending was. Though I found it was surprisingly easy to get back into the story. Things were recapped well enough, the only problem I had was remembering the characters outside Kyra and Tyler.

Kyra had to sacrifice Tyler to the same powers that took her five years ago. Tyler had been poisoned by her blood and the only way to save him was to let him be taken. He was, but then trying to figure out when and where he’ll come back was another story. Kyra contented herself by staying with Simon and his friends but when they get a possible lead on where Tyler might be, she’s ready to jump on it. The place? The NSA’s base in Tacoma.

And so begins a journey to rescue Tyler who may or may not be there among their enemies, especially Agent Truman who has been relentless in capturing Kyra. When the plan fails, the group decides to take refuge with another camp that isn’t known for being too friendly, but Simon is out of options of where they could safely go.

I’d say a good chunk of the beginning of this book involved getting themselves to Tacoma and then all that took place there. There’s a lot of traveling in this book and then more events take place when the group gets to the camp.

A lot of new secrets are revealed in this one as well. Since I can’t really remember much about the first book, I was pretty shocked by some of what we learned. Kyra and her friends find themselves among other Returneds who are unlike any she’s met before. They are more like soldiers getting ready for battle, just what battle that will be remains to be seen.

I will admit at times I felt like the pacing to this one slowed down some. There was a good deal of buildup in some of the mystery and secrets of just what the Returned are capable of. As well as a few other things that developed along the way.

There wasn’t too much romance in this one. That’s one thing I can’t really remember much about in the first book. I knew I was somewhat weirded out with Tyler and Kyra’s togetherness, but it didn’t last that long. Since Tyler is MIA with the hopes of a reunion soon, you’d think there wouldn’t be any romance left to have. Well…that’s the thing! I’m not entirely sure if Kimberly is setting us up for a love triangle or not. There’s definitely some chemistry brewing between Kyra and Simon, though it seems a little one-sided in the beginning that changes along the course of the book. I feel like Kyra has made her “choice”, yet there’s something that makes me feel like maybe she hasn’t. It’s a pickle that’s for sure, especially since I can’t remember why I loved Tyler so much! Simon was a riot at times and is definitely a character that made me laugh. Plus, he’s very loyal to his friends and whether in fiction or reality, that’s always an admirable quality.

The ending was definitely something of a shocker! There were things that were happening that I didn’t quite believe! A few more shocking revelations thrown in for good measure as well, yet those I sort of was getting to the bottom of! Just not quite in the details that were later given. The final part of the book was something of a head-turner though and I cannot wait to read the next book. Part of the reason why I now just need to binge read trilogies as well as duologies!

The Replaced was a pretty decent follow-up to The Taking! Again, with my addled memory I can’t remember The Taking as well, but diving into this one nearly blind I was able to follow along with little problems. It’s definitely going to be easier reading the next and final book for sure! If you’re a fan of the alien abduction type stories, this is definitely a read you will want to check out! It’s eerily mystifying in that area and I cannot wait to read the conclusion!


Overall Rating 4/5 stars





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!