Jun 15, 2018

Let's Discuss: The Return

A long, long, looooong time ago there was a world where Paranormal YA books were extremely hard to find. There were some, but not many. I tried reading Contemporary YA but it just wasn't working, so I decided to leave the YA genre and venture over to the adult side of the store. I wanted Paranormal reads and little drama. A lot of the contemps I was picking up were rife with drama and it just wasn't for me. I needed my monsters. But then one day, I was told to give this particular YA book a try. It involved vampires and it was YA and my friends in a discussion group were really pushing me to read it. So I did. And I found I LOOOOVED it! It was pretty much like my "adult" reads I was reading, only the characters were teenagers and soon I found myself slowly returning to the YA world!

My Return to YA


The book that brought me back was Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead! I positively LOVED it! It was so exciting and snarky and Rose was just a character I really enjoyed! It was after I binge read the first three books and was agonizingly waiting the fourth one to release that I started seeing other titles that were of interest to me! YA books that were paranormal in nature and were calling my name! And it was then I was noticing my "adult" authors were also writing YA, such as Kelley Armstrong and Kim Harrison! I was in love! 

I call the years without any Paranormal YA books the dark days. The years in my teen life were pretty dark as there were few and far between books for me to read in those days. Reading was and still is my escape from reality, so I needed a book to help keep myself sane from the insanity of life that surrounded me! The fact that I had to wait another odd amount of years for these books to come out both saddened me, just a little, but I am still grateful that these books came out in my time! That I am still kicking it around to be able to read them!

Or else, you know, I'd be haunting the bookstores trying to pull a Patrick Swayze to read the books once they are on the shelves! Lol!!

Is there a book that brought you back to a genre you thought you left behind for good? Do you still read that genre? 






4 comments:

  1. Great topic! I can't say that there is any book that caused me to come back to a genre as I've never stopped reading a genre I liked.... I mean I grew out of middle grade but I've never gone back to reading it. I'm such a stickler for what I like I swear lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read a paranormal YA book in a while. I read this one a few years ago and remember liking it, but I never checked out the rest of the series... I guess I'll have to do that!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't say that it brought me back since I had never really read YA as an actual young adult, but YA Dystopian was what brought me TO the genre. I remember reading Partials and The Forest of Hands and Teeth back in 2011 or 2012 and from there I've read almost exclusively YA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Vampire Academy, so I'm happy to see it brought you back into the YA fold!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!