Mar 13, 2019

Let's Discuss--Favorite Tropes

I was in the mood for a discussion post but couldn't think of anything off the bat, so I went to the helpful list created by Nicole and found one that I don't think I ever talked about in its own discussion post, so let's have at it!


Bookish Confession: I Love Hate to Love Relationships


I don't know what it is about a good hate to love relationship in books but I find I quite enjoy them! I think it's a refreshing take from the insta-love affair that sometimes happens. Now when I say "hate" I don't mean like full on hating one another and doing terrible things to each other, though there are a few books that come to mind that start out that way too, but I guess I mean a general dislike of one another. Perhaps more adversaries than any true hate-ons.

One example that I will use is Cleo and Magnus from Morgan Rhodes Falling Kingdom series! A perfect example of the hate to love relationship. They were enemies from the get-go and then ever so slowly, a relationship began to develop in small increments.

That's the kind of romance I really enjoy! I like one that takes time to build and if it started out as something less pleasant, it somehow makes it more enjoyable for some reason! Lol. I mean when you look at it, Beauty and the Beast was like that too. Though it just went by quicker since it was a 90 minute movie! Lol.

And it's quite likely because I loved this movie as a kid, I grew to like those hate to love relationship in books. Granted, I don't think it was necessarily hate in this movie, but you know, they didn't get along all that well in the beginning.

I guess in the long run, it comes down to I like watching the relationship take time to grow. The "hating" beforehand can sometimes be entertaining and I think I like that about some of the books because it can be pretty funny in the right book, not with these examples necessarily since they had a tad been more seriousness to it. Funny that fantasies can be more serious than your book based in reality (involving vampires, werewolves, or other paranormal peep). At least that's what I have found in my reading cycles. Others would be different based on whatever they are reading as well!


What about you guys? What's your favorite type of romance or a trope that you don't actually hate in books?








4 comments:

  1. Oooh I very much like the hate-to-love trope too! You're right, it's like the antitheses of insta-love hahah. I also am a BIG fan of friends-to-lovers, because Idk they're always just the best! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also all about the hate to love! I also love a good fake relationship or a mistaken identities romance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hate-to-love trope is my favourite one (this week I wrote about romance tropes and that was the first one that came to my mind while writing it). Like you, I love the slow burning romance, going from hate to love.

    Happy readings! ;)
    Tânia @MyLovelySecret

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hate to Love is a tricky trope for me because I really don't like it when I feel like one of the characters (usually the guy) is a jerk at the beginning. I will confess to you that I actually didn't love the first Lux book because I couldn't get over the fact that Daemon just seemed like an annoying jerk--by book two I was sold on him, but I was one of the few people who wasn't convinced after book one.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!