Jul 12, 2019

Book Blogger Hop

This meme is hosted by Billy at Ramblings of a Coffee Addict!
 
 
This week's topic is: What do you like/dislike about self-published works? (submitted by Nicki @ Nicki J. Markus/Asta Idonea)
 
 
 
MY ANSWER: Well...in terms of liking, I just like the stories just as much as traditional published ones. Another perk is they sometimes release faster.
 
Downsides tend to be cover choices. I know that's not something that is really controlled as the author is choosing from various platforms that have artwork to be used for such things. I just find that sometimes the cover art doesn't really mesh well with the story or the characters that are being represented are way off their marker. But that can be true with traditionally published ones too.

Another dislike...when the author cancels the series themselves! I mean I get that life happens and whatnot but what I don't understand is seeing them still somewhat active in the twitterverse or some such and that they are writing...just not the final book in their series. There's really only one that comes to mind...the second one that comes to mind is actually a smaller press one vs self-published.

So really what it comes down to is that I pretty much love self-published and traditionally published books in the same ways! Lol.







7 comments:

  1. I 100% agree about the cover choices for self-published authors sometimes! That is one thing that I think people should focus more on when publishing for themselves - they get to actually choose! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!

    Jamie @ Books and Ladders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen way too many self-published books with similar cover designs. As a reader, it's difficult to tell the books apart. The cover design should be just as important as the editing. It needs to get your attention immediately.

      Delete
  2. Traditional published or self-published, I want books to have creative plots. While I have enjoyed reading a few self-published books, many of them have way too many grammar errors for my liking.

    My Book Blogger Hop

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember reading great books with extremely simple cover- just name of the book and author. I understand that cover attracts more attention, but for me it's never a reason for buying or not a book. Pity though, that self-published authors cannot afford this type of promotion of a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with both of these so much! One of my biggest disappointments was Susan Ee cutting Penryn to three books instead of the original five.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... I didn't know that some authors stopped publishing their books. Although I can only think of one example where that happened because the author had some personal problems.

    Here’s my Book Blogger Hop!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome answer!! Bad covers is something I touched on in my answer. I've seen some doozies come through my honest request queue. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!