Jul 30, 2019

DNF Review--These Rebel Waves by Sara Raasch

Adeluna is a soldier. Five years ago, she helped the magic-rich island of Grace Loray overthrow its oppressor, Argrid, a country ruled by religion. But adjusting to postwar life has not been easy. When an Argridian delegate vanishes during peace talks with Grace Loray’s new Council, Argrid demands brutal justice—but Lu suspects something more dangerous is at work.

Devereux is a pirate. As one of the outlaws called stream raiders who run rampant on Grace Loray, he pirates the island’s magic plants and sells them on the black market. But after Argrid accuses raiders of the diplomat’s abduction, Vex becomes a target. An expert navigator, he agrees to help Lu find the Argridian—but the truth they uncover could be deadlier than any war.

Benat is a heretic. The crown prince of Argrid, he harbors a secret obsession with Grace Loray’s forbidden magic. When Ben’s father, the king, gives him the shocking task of reversing Argrid’s fear of magic, Ben has to decide if one prince can change a devout country—or if he’s building his own pyre.

As conspiracies arise, Lu, Vex, and Ben will have to decide who they really are . . . and what they are willing to become for peace.



I was a fan of Sara Raasch’s Snow Like Ashes trilogy that when I heard she was to have a new series that had more of a pirate theme going on, I was excited! Sadly, These Rebel Waves just didn’t live up to my expectations.

Firstly, the opening was just not enough to hook me. I felt like there was a lot of history lessons going on and I wasn’t able to grasp what was important. We did get to see some of the characters in the prologue at a young age doing something or other and what will likely put them on their path a few years down the road. I sadly couldn’t follow it. I’m not sure what happened, as I did enjoy Sara’s style in her previous books.

Perhaps the problem lied more with the story itself. I wasn’t really sure what this story was about at first other than pirates and Sara Raasch. That was enough for me to buy a copy. But once I got to reading it, I felt myself at a lull. It was just too slow of a start. I made it about 40 pages in, a little sooner than my usual 50 page mark before I threw in the towel. No sense in forcing myself to read something I am already not enjoying. I can only hope my next read will prove to be more entertaining…which since I had planned to read this series this week, I’ve no clue what I will pick up next.






 

2 comments:

  1. Aw man it sucks you didn't enjoy this one! It has such a pretty cover! I haven't ewad anything by this author, but have heard of Snow like Ashes :)
    Genesis @ Whispering Chapters

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad you didn't enjoy this one and found it slow! I am going into this cautious because of these issues. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Jamie @ Books and Ladders

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!