Mar 3, 2020

Let's Discuss: DNFing a Favorite Author

So I had another thought this past week when I sadly had to DNF a book I was anticipating by a favorite author. Then when I thought about it, I haven't really enjoyed her books since her first series. Her second series was a dud and this latest one just wasn't my thing either. 


When You Don't Like a Favorite Author's Book


Have you ever had to DNF a favorite author's book? I feel like this has happened to me a few times. Veronica Roth is the one I DNF'd most recently. I tried reading her adult debut and it just wasn't jiving for me. I think I gave up around 40%? The story was moving a little too slow and then they started time traveling and needing to explain what felt like the quantum physics of magic! Yeah, it was just too much.

I don't want to list all the favorite author books I had to DNF because that would make me too sad. Lol. But it's happened, and it's always with a heavy heart that I decide to DNF the book or series. 

Sometimes I wonder if things changed for me as a reader. When I read their first series and having read so many books in between until their next one came out. If maybe their writing style changed. Or perhaps it was a genre change that caused the eventual DNF.

I know that I hate doing it. I mean, I don't like DNFing anything, but when it comes from a favorite author and I find I have to DNF the read because I am just not liking it, it really kind of hurts. It makes me wonder if something happened to my reading tastes or the author's writing or if I am just not "getting" the story. It's all so painful for me.

What about you? Have you ever had to DNF a favorite author's book for some reason? I feel like I may be alone in this, because really, if you're not liking something by an author you previously liked, can you still call them a favorite?

What are your thoughts?












No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!