Apr 22, 2010

Review--Radiant Shadows


HUNGER FOR NOURISHMENT.
HUNGER FOR TOUCH.
HUNGER TO BELONG.

Half-human and half-faery, Ani is driven by her hungers.

Those same appetites also attract powerful enemies and uncertain allies, including Devlin. He was created as an assassin and is brother to the faeries' coolly logical High Queen and to her chaotic twin, the embodiment of War. Devlin wants to keep Ani safe from his sisters, knowing that if he fails, he will be the instrument of Ani's death.

Ani isn't one to be guarded while others fight battles for her, though. She has the courage to protect herself and the ability to alter Devlin's plans--and his life. The two are drawn together, each with reason to fear the other and to fear for one another. But as they grow closer, a larger threat imperils the whole of Faerie. Will saving the faery realm mean losing each other?

Finished Radiant Shadows today and it surprised me. I thought maybe I would get it done by Friday, but it's done. It was a good read, but I think it's been too long since I've read any of the other books. I can't remember who Ani is, if we saw her before, I want to say we had just by the way she knows the other characters from past books. Devlin's name I know I've seen from the other books, but still I couldn't really remember him either.

But ignoring that, the book was still pretty interesting. I just still feel like I should've re-read the others because of the amount of info in it. Irial is back with Niall who is the king of the Dark Faery court that I remember from Ink Exchange. Didn't remember that their court was in the human world, but it makes sense.

Seth, I remember from Fragile Eternity and even Wicked Lovely returns and seems to becoming more into his role as a faery creature. He's not fully faery from my understanding, he's like Ash, who was absent, but mentioned in name, in the book. Keenan was also absent, almost entirely in the book as well. According to the characters he is missing from his court and I can't remember if he did something or went somewhere in Fragile Eternity at the end.

I highly recommend reading the previous books in the Wicked Lovely series, as I believe it to be called. I think it will help make things make more sense. There is something big definitely going on and I believe I heard that there is only one more book to the series as well.

I think the change in narrator helps contribute to my confusion at times. While I like the different narrator and different story, I sometimes lose the connection to all the other books before it. That's not to say that Radiant Shadows was bad, no, I enjoyed it separately. What I'm having with is putting all the books together to form a series. I see connections here and there, but I'm missing the BIG picture of what's happening. I can't keep straight who's the bad guy or who's the good guy.

Someone I thought was a good guy kind of comes off as the opposite in this book, won't get into who. But overall the book was still great, just as I said, separately from the series. Big stuff does happen, but I don't know who it's really important to other than the characters present. That is also the confusing part, trying to figure out who is important in the series since there is a constant change in narrator and not like there is within the book, but how each novel focuses on a different person and their involvement in the world of Faery.

I am very interested in seeing what the new Wicked Lovely movie will be like. I can't wait to see it whenever it comes out. All I really know is that there's a movie in the making. It might possibly come out next year, but again I'm only guessing. I have no clue and haven't looked far into it yet.

The thing about this series is, is trying to place each book's importance into the series. Why is this important to the series as a whole? I feel like there has to be a connection somehow other than the characters knowing one another in various forms. I hope that the next and what I believe is the last book of the series, helps tie everything together and put an end to my confusion. There is just so much to handle with these books, yet I still love them, still enjoy them. For a series about faeries, it is rather good and intriguing. Fragile Eternity definitely had me hooked for what was happening.

Radiant Shadows had me hooked as well, but I didn't know how to connect it. I think it had to do with the first book dealing with Ash and now we're with another character completely and I cannot remember who she is. I know she had to come up previously, I just can't remember.

If anyone else knows more, feel free to leave a post in the comments. I would love some clarification on the matter.

And BIG news if anyone out there is in the St. Louis area, which is where I live, Melissa Marr is going to be at the St. Louis County Library Headquarters this Saturday night! I'm very excited! Maybe I'll be able to get clarification then!

And tomorrow is MY official last day of college! I take two finals and then I'm done! YEA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!