Dec 22, 2009

Review--Flesh Circus

THE CIRQUE DU CHARNU HAS COME TO TOWN...

When circus performers start dying grotesquely, Jill Kismet has to find out why, or the entire city will become a carnival of horror. She also has to play the resident hellbreed power against the Crique to keep them in line, and find out why ordinary people are needing exorcisms. And then there's the murdered voodoo practitioners, and the zombies.

Jill Kismet is about to find out that some games are played for keeps...

Just finished the latest Jill Kismet book, Flesh Circus, and was mildly entertained. I have to say when it comes to Saintcrow's adult writing I get a little confused with some of her vocabulary and after four books into the series you would think I could remember what these words are without the use of the glossary, but I'm not.

Other than being confused with her particular vocab, I still find myself enjoying the book. There is always so much going on that there is never a dull moment.

Jill's interactions with the other characters are very interesting, especially Saul. Saul returns this time after visiting with his family from the last book and comes back somewhat different. Even Jill notices that change in the way he holds himself. It seems there is a distance growing between them. Which Saintcrow writes very well. Of course, I thought some of the things a little obvious when it came to their arguments. Which may sound confusing, but I don't want to spoil things, so I once again turn to be being vague.

The mystery elements were also good, if sometimes a bit confusing, again there are a string of names that I cannot recall and when she hates talking to character A, I cannot remember why, because it might have come up in the previous books which I have not read since their releases. Perhaps if I had read all these books in a row back to back, I would not be so confused at times. Of course I have been feel rather tired lately and sometimes found myself drifting off while reading.

Please note that the book did NOT put me to sleep, I really was tired. I have not been sleeping to good lately and it's supposed to be my winter break, go figure.

Overall the book was still very interesting and I am looking forward to the next one, Heaven's Spite. Overall I would give the book about a 4/5 just so it is clear that I did not hate the book, the vocabulary always throws me through a loop when I read Saintcrow's adult books, but I still enjoy them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!