Jun 8, 2010

Review--The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers

DEMON-SLAYING POWERS SHOULD COME WITH AN INSTRUCTION BOOK...

Seriously. Why does a new hair dryer have a twelve-page how-to manual, but when it comes to ancient demon-fighting hocus-pocus, my biker witch granny gives me just half a dozen switch stars and a rah-rah speech? Oh, and a talking terrier, but that's another story.
It's not like my job as a preschool teacher prepared me for this kind of thing.

So I've decided to write my own manual, The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers, because no one tells me anything. Dimitri, my "protector", may be one stud of a shape-shifting griffin, but he always thinks he can handle everything by himself. Only he's no match for the soul-stealing succubi taking over Las Vegas. If I can't figure out how to save him--and Sin City--there'll be hell to pay.

Finished Angie Fox's The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers, it is the second book in her series. While I contemplated buying the first one so I wasn't insanely lost, I decided to risk it. And truthfully it wasn't a big deal to have skipped it. Sure I missed all the intro stuff and the events that took place, but all the important bits were brought up in this book, with those short summaries I figured out what I needed to figure out.

Overall the book wasn't too bad either. Didn't LOVE it, didn't HATE it. It was just good. Angie writes remarkably well too. It's so...smooth and flowing. Some sentences are nice and short to make the point stand out for whatever reason. It was refreshing. It wasn't a book where you really had to strain yourself to follow along with the plot details either. It just flowed easily. Of course I can't think of any book at the top of my head that was hard to read, other than books for school--which I'm done with! Yea!


Anyway, I really liked Lizzie, she was what I look for in my heroine/protagonist. She was witty and had a bit of snark in her. She wasn't afraid to say it like it is. She has a lot to deal with in this book, as she has to race to Vegas to rescue her relative from the soul-stealing succubus and there isn't just one succubus in the city either. All hell is about to break loose in Sin City, literally and Lizzie has to do everything in her powers to stop it and save the ones she loves. But before she can do any of that, she has to get her demon-slaying license! Something her grandmother forgot to mention. And a biker granny is just too funny. I'm new to the series and found it quite comical, of course her talking dog, Pirate is a hoot as well! Talking dogs usually are, imagine a hyperactive dog and what it would be like for him to talk...you get the picture!

The romance was little in the book, which makes me wonder if this is urban fantasy rather than paranormal romance. Again, since I'm new to the series, I can't quite tell where this one would fall, because despite the romance being small, there was more than 1 romantic scene and the ending was somewhat HEA. I mean, it's not over, obviously since the 3rd book came out in January. So I just don't know what to classify this one as. But since I'm not big on the romance, the littleness of the romance in the book didn't bother me at all. I mean there was love between Lizzie and Dimitri, it just wasn't shown every single chapter.

The plot moved along pretty quickly too. It was rather fast paced and I liked it. I didn't get to read a lot of it this weekend because of work, but I finished the majority of it today and it went rather quickly. Once Lizzie gets herself, legally, into Las Vegas the story moves rather quickly with several interesting twists and surprises along the way. The ending was rather good too, very surprising as well.

A few things that happened, I don't know if they are to mean something. It's possible. But since I missed the first book, I don't know the extent of Lizzie's abilities and what's normal and not normal for her.
But overall it was a very entertaining book.

If I come to another lapse in releases I will likely buy the first one just because I'm curious to see how the story got started. I would recommend this to read easily if you are in need of a book to read. I always have to have something I'm reading despite having other tasks that need accomplishing, it's just who I am. Next up since I'm waiting for Blood Song by mail, is another RT book I received from a friend at the conference who didn't want it, is Ann Aguirre's
Blue Diablo. Until next time readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!