Apr 14, 2011

Review--Unraveled by Gena Showalter

FOR ONCE SIXTEEN-YEAR OLD ADEN STONE HAS EVERYTHING HE'S EVER WANTED:
A HOME.
FRIENDS.
THE GIRL OF HIS DREAMS.
TOO BAD HE'S GOING TO DIE...

Since coming to Crossroads, Oklahoma, former outcast Aden Stone has been living the good life. Never mind that one of his best friends is a werewolf, his girlfriend is a vampire princess who hungers for his blood, and he's supposed to be crowned Vampire King—while still a human! Well, kind of.

With four—oops, three now—human souls living inside his head, Aden has always been "different" himself. These souls can time-travel, raise the dead, possess another's mind and, his least favorite these days, tell the future.

The forecast for Aden? A knife through the heart.

Because a war is brewing between the creatures of the dark, and Aden is somehow at the center of it all. But he isn't about to lie down and accept his destiny without a fight. Not when his new friends have his back, not when Victoria has risked her own future to be with him, and not when he has a reason to live for the first time in his life...

Gena Showalter's Unraveled was a tremendous followup to Intertwined! Seriously, I am still kicking myself for not reading these books sooner! They are sooooooo damn good! I really like how it sort feels like there's two stories going, you have Aden--the main character and all that's happening with him and his vampire girlfriend, Victoria. Then there's what's happening with Mary Ann and her werewolf boyfriend, Riley--who I soooo love!

Despite these two characters with their different problems happening they are all still connected to one another. Aden is still trying to figure out how he can help the remaining souls in his head move on, while trying to handle being the new vampire king and figuring out how he can get the death curse lifted off his friends that they witches cast on them last time. And these witches really fit their name since they refuse to tell Aden the location and time of said meeting.

And the problems Aden has to deal with being king are pretty huge! Laws, suitors, threats...it's endless and all he wants is to be with Victoria. But there are still other enemies lurking about that he is unaware of. Shocking enemies. And there's still a lot that he doesn't know about his friend Mary Ann.

Mary Ann has her own problems she's dealing with. Problems that threaten those around her, including her loved ones, including Riley. I felt bad for her, not only does she have the death threat over her head, but her new problem is catastrophic! It seems there are a lot of forces at work that are trying to keep the two star-crossed couples apart and now I have to wait til the end of August for the next one!!

The pacing is incredible with these books, this one was 572 pages and yet I read over 400 yesterday! The pages fly by and I find myself nearing the end and not wanting it to end. The plot just moves so quickly and it's never confusing with the p.o.v. changes, it's refreshing, for once we get caught with Mary Ann's story we jump back to Aden who was doing something thrilling! And on and on it goes!

I suppose that's my only consolation I can give myself for waiting so long. Now instead of a 1 year wait I have just 4 months, 2 weeks and 1 day (roughly) til Twisted!!

Overall rating 5/5 stars, a killer read!!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Intertwined but last year Gena had a blog hunt contest and I won a signed copy of Unraveled. I couldn't wait until I had the first book and wound up reading-and loving-Unraveled. I need to get intertwined already...

    Anyway great review! :)

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review! I so gotta read this series sooN! =D

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!