Apr 28, 2011

Review--Defiance by Lili St. Crow

The Real World is a frightening place. Just ask sixteen-year-old orphan Dru Anderson, a tough girl who has taken on her fair share of bad guys. She's armed, dangerous, and not going down without a fight. So it's gonna take her a while to figure out who she can trust...

Dru Anderson has always been a good listener. She listened to her dad, but had to gun him down when he turned zombie. She listened to the Order, but got nothing but lied to in return. She listened to Christophe, but still lost the only friend she had left.

Time to buckle up, boys and girls. Dru Anderson is done listening. From here on out, she'll face the King of the Vampires on her own terms. And if the Order has a problem with that, they can kiss their sweet little svetocha goodbye.

Lili St. Crow's fourth installment in the Strange Angels series, Defiance, was fabulous! Another 1 day read for me! Really couldn't put it down! Due to the time between releases and all that I read in between it took me a bit to catch back up with the story but it wasn't long before I was back on board!

Dru is worried sick over Graves who is still being held hostage by Sergej and she is still with the Order and Christophe at "headquarters" or whatever, training. Always training for when the time comes to fight and she "blooms" into her full power.

But a lot of sh*t is still going to go down in her life and it's going to take helluva twists and turns before the night is done--okay it does take place over a few days, but I'm trying to build up the tension! ;)

Basically, yeah, Dru is going to go through a heck of a lot of turmoil that is going to twist with her emotionally and physically. There is a lot of Christophe time in the first half, since Graves is gone and if you're like me and are still on the fence of what "Team" to choose it is kind of nice, I guess. A few of my friends are Team Graves so I know they won't care for this part. Me, I still kind of remain on the fence, but am leaning more towards Graves.

Dru is going to go through a lot of questioning with herself and the Order she is supposed to be able to trust. But soon there's evidence that there is (yet another) traitor afoot. 

It surprises me how much I love the dramatic twists and turns that go on here. One minute you're thinking this and some pages later it's put into question and then a few pages more, it's questioned again! While it might be irritating to some, I love it here. It's so gripping how my emotions are being tugged this way. The tension just continues to build up the further along you read. And there are a few surprises along the way. 

The ending is sort of cliffhanger-y. There's the sense that there is a moment of "rest", but you know it's only for the moment. And the series will finally come to its epic conclusion this November (1st) with Reckoning. Cannot wait!!

Overall rating 5/5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Whoa this book sounds intense. I love tough characters. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! You finally read it! This: Me, I still kind of remain on the fence, but am leaning more towards Graves. is me entirely! I CANNOT WAIT FOR RECKONING! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review! I so need to get caught up with this series =D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!