Apr 18, 2011

*Review--E-ARC The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter*

EVERY GIRL who has taken the test has DIED.

Not it's KATE'S TURN.

It’s always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate’s going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won’t live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he’ll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he’s crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she’ll become Henry’s future bride, and a goddess.

If she fails... 

I received this e-ARC courtesy of NetGalley for review.

Aimee Carter's debut The Goddess Test became a fast favorite for me! This is the second debut book this year that I have read that instead of going with the good ol' supernatural (which can never get old in my opinion), the author goes with Greek mythology! Which is one of my fave subjects!

This story goes along with the myth of Persephone, Demeter's--goddess of Earth, grain--daughter. The characters don't go by their Greek names, and at the end there is a little key to let you know who was who, but I was able to guess a few of the Gods/Goddesses. And I just absolutely loved this book!

The pacing was good. It wasn't at all slow or anything like you might think since Kate is going to have to make a deal with Henry. We first get to see her going about her life in the small town of Eden, where her mother wanted to live during her last days. It has a heart-wrenching start, as we get to know of the life Kate lived while caring for her mother.

Then Henry finds her one night to propose his "offer" to her and shows what he can do. He tells her to look at the Persephone myth and then to meet him at the autumn equinox.

What I really liked about the story was Kate's hesitation to believe anything Henry says, even when she saw some of his abilities first hand. It's a lot to accept and deal with. While some might find it annoying, I thought it was refreshing that she wasn't so accepting right away. True she might have believed Henry in some ways, but it takes a while for her to truly believe all that is happening.

To make matters worse perhaps, Kate must take and pass 7 tests in order to truly be Henry's bride. And if that wasn't challenging enough, someone at the house wants her to fail. Even if it means her death, like the deaths of the previous potential brides before. Which makes it all the harder for Kate to trust anybody in this place.

You don't really need to know Greek mythology to enjoy this story. In fact there is a summary woven into the novel about the myth regarding Persephone. Which I thought might have left out a detail, but truly it doesn't matter because more was spun to fit with this story and I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

There are also several surprises along the way, of course it isn't until the ending when we get to know those. But they were quite shocking! And enjoyable. Although there is one thing, overall that I question regarding the story, but will have to wait for future books to find out.

I can give this book no less that 5/5 stars! A fantastic read and I will have to add it to my book list so i can buy a copy to treasure forever!

The Goddess Test releases April 19, 2011

This book is also apart of my 2011 Debut Author Challenge from The Story Siren

2 comments:

  1. This book sounds really good! I love Greek Mythology and always love to see where the author goes with it too! I have it expiring away on my Nook, so I better get reading. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica! Thanks for posting a link to your review. I like reading other reviews of books I've reviewed, especially when they differ so much from my review.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!