Jun 28, 2016

Teaser & Top Ten Tuesdays

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by MizB of Books and Beat

Here are the rules:

1. Grab your current read
2. Open to a page
3. Pick out 2 lines that are SPOILER FREE
4. Name the title, author, etc.



"I hold up Mr. Walker's empty water bottles. 'I think we felt drugged because we were drugged.'" Kindle loc. 14%*


*Quote comes from eARC therefore it and its location are not final.









 


TITLE: One Was Lost
AUTHOR: Natalie D. Richards
PUBLISHER: Sourcebooks Fire
GENRE: Thriller/Mystery YA
RELEASE DATE: October 4, 2016


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.



This week's topic is: FREEBIE WEEK: Top Ten OCD Bookish Habits


*in no particular order
**I decided to go wayyy back to an earlier topic that I didn't do. Sounds like fun since I have some pretty OCD tendencies! Especially in regards to my books!


1. ALPHABETICAL ORDER--yeah, I'm still old school. My books HAVE to be arranged in alphabetical order based on author's last name. And if they have multiple series, I do put them in order of which series came out first. Though since my books have spread throughout the house, this has become increasingly harder to do, but still, all books are arranged alphabetically.
2. STRAIGHT SPINES--meaning, you bend the spine on my book...and let's just say I'll be bending something of yours! LOL! One time my mom borrow a book and I saw her...I saw her bend the cover ALL THE WAY AROUND TO THE BACK! Ah! I can barely talk about it sometimes...it's too painful!
3. BOOKMARKS--I have to use a bookmark when reading. None of this folding the pages or manipulating the cover to hold a spot. Just no. Nope.
4. CLEAN PAGES--meaning I would never ever ever mark up the pages with highlighters or pencil markings. Heck, I couldn't even really do this in college when I bought my textbooks. I physically cannot do it! The only writing allowed is when the author signs the title page! LOL!
5. MATCHING COVERS--I won't lie, I prefer that my covers match. And I know we can't help but when covers change, but it drives me bonkers!!! I can't stand it! I can't ever remember a time when I thought, "thank God they changed the cover!" It just doesn't happen! Why must covers be changed? Where's the good publicity in that when hundreds of fans are left disappointed by this change?
6. DREADED SIZE CHANGES--okay, harder to describe. Note the picture:
When I first started the Charley Davidson series, the first book was in mass market paperback, upon reading it and loving it, I went out for book 2 and found that it was in Trade paperback, then shortly after that book 3 came out for the first time and it was in hardcover. Most annoying in some ways. I can't be sure why book 2 was in trade paperback instead of mass, but that's what it was at the time and I HAD to have it! No nonsense waiting for me when I was in love with this series. And I didn't feel like going back and rebuying the first two books in hardcover, because eh. Too pricey. Also note, two books later this series did a cover change as well. Sigh...
7. FORMAT CHANGES--even worse, when a beloved series...changes publishers or some such business, where the books you adored buying are no longer being available as a real book, but as an ebook. Granted, sometimes you can buy them as a real paperback and such, but deep down. You know it's not the exact same, but still better to have that option than ebook alone.


Surprisingly that's all I got. I used to have to have all my books on shelves and all the author's books would be next to each other. But due to size constraints and room available, I've had to move books around. Store some of an author's books in one room or another, separate bookcases. It's all madness. We won't even mention what my closet looks like on the top shelf. It's scary. 




17 comments:

  1. That's scary: to be drugged. I hope nothing bad happened to them.


    My teaser

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess who wants to read One Was Lost now? Great pick, Jessica!

    Thanks for sharing, here's my TT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when the cover matches and hate when the book sizes are different. I also hate when there are some only released in hardback and others only released in paperback.

    Why are they trying to kill them?

    My TT

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! I agree with all of these! In addition, only Hardcovers are shown on my bookshelf. I don't like paperbacks, but I do own some (gifts), those are pushed behind the hardcovers. So pleased with your answer for 1. I have a friend who alphabetizes by author last name and then book title - meaning she doesn't put books in a series together. It drives me NUTS!

    Happy Tuesday! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha laughed at your OCD book thoughts.

    Good teaser too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with most of your OCD habits - except I'm starting to prefer ebooks which eliminates the size and cover problems. My teaser this week comes from a new fantasy - The Waking Fire by Anthony Ryan. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think size changes bother me more than covers that don't match. I'm also a bookmark freak so I'm with you on that one - don't fold or damage pages people! I love your OCD habits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a really effective teaser:). Hope you're enjoying the book. I'm afraid all our systems for storing books methodically have completely broken down under sheer weight of numbers! I understand your pain regarding changes in book covers, though. Here is my TT...
    https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2016/06/28/teaser-tuesday-28th-june-2016/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man! I've gotten better about not marking books but I used to be bad. And I use anything for a bookmark. But cover changes are annoying. Especially if it's the last book in a series. Why? And basically every series lately is redesigned when it gets to the paperback of the first one. Annoying! Great list.
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your list! My bookshelves would drive you crazy, because the only order they're in is read v. unread. I don't put my books in any kind of order. I even have some books in a series on an entirely different shelf than the others. Madness, I know! It is starting to get on my nerves though, so I'll probably go to alphabetical order sometime soon. As far as not writing in books and not bending the pages, I'm right there with you. I must have about 50 bookmarks that I keep around so I won't have to bend the pages. When I lend a book out I always give strict instructions that the spine is not to be bent backward and the pages had better not get turned down! In fact, I usually provide a bookmark along with the book! LOL. Great list! Thanks for visiting my TTT! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's funny how we have some of the same things in our posts this week...I use bookmarks too as I do not like dog eared pages... Nor do I want writing or highlighting in my books.

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment on my TTT post this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HA we have matching OCDs!! And nice teaser, so were they really drugged?
    Check out My TT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! Can I have number 2 as a poster please. No one believes me when I say it but I will hurt them if they hurt my books. And don't get me started on size and design changes *I'm glaring at you Anna and the French Kiss series*

    Great list, Happy Reading,
    Rachel @ Paein-and-Ms4Tune

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't share all of your OCD tendencies but I do share the matching covers and the size changes! I'd love to be able to order my books in alphabetical order but I have different sized shelves so it's not entirely possible!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/28/top-ten-tuesday-63/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally agree with you! The only thing I do occasionally is mark up books if I have multiple copies. Great post idea!

    Christina @ Books & Prejudice

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not OCD about alphabetical order, but I am very conscientious about books being likely grouped (according to what I consider likeness). I had a friend borrow the fourth book in the Outlander series and the entire spine was creased - heavily! thick white line! - when she returned it. I wont' let her borrow the next ones. I also hate cover changes but most especially size changes!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!