Oct 26, 2010

Review--E-ARC Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton

Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures--goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty--are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn't worried. Her life isn't in danger. In fact, it's perfect. She's on track for a college scholarship. She has a great job. She's focused on school, work, and her future. No boys, no heartaches, no problems.

Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives. Finn's a bit on the unearthly beautiful side himself. He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's talking about goblins, too . . . and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby's right. The goblins are coming.

 I received this e-ARC courteous of NetGalley.

Kersten Hamilton's Tyger Tyger was quite an interesting read. It was definitely a modern faery tale type book, but it doesn't have the friendly faeries Disney has programmed us to, of course us readers know that faeries are not always friendly and in fact know that a friendly faery is harder to find than anything else. And Tyger Tyger lets the unkind faery image live on.

There wasn't an overabundance of faeries in the novel either, there was just the idea that faeries are evil and there are other creatures of fae that are meant to be feared. Such as goblins and other darker creatures.

Teagan grew up with parents who were still fond of their Irish heritage, her mother even wrote children books featuring goblins and other creatures and they were a big hit. I can't get too much into the details for spoiler purposes, but there was quite a bit of mystery centered around Teagan and her family. Some of which I could surmise as I read further along, the details pertaining to these things were where the surprises laid.

When Finn enters Tea's life and family she can't help being intrigued by this boy. There is definitely something about him and her best friend Abby dislikes him upon meeting him--something which Tea believes is connected to Abby's vision/dream.

The characters were all great. Teagan really does seem more like your average teen. She's trying to do good at school and her job so she can get into a good college and further her future. She is strongly attached to her family and her best friend and despite being immediately drawn to Finn, she doesn't jump to trying to become his girlfriend right away. She almost tries to fight the attraction to him.

Abby was a great friend and I totally loved her. She is almost the polar opposite to Teagan, being outgoing and loud and saying whatever she's thinking, while Teagan was a little more timid, yet still a strong character. From my teaser, you learn that Abby has connections with her Family and isn't afraid to threaten the strange mysterious Finn with them if he were to ever hurt her best friend in any way. Like I said, Abby was a good friend!

Another tidbit that I just have to throw in here because I do have my BA in English is the reference to Of Mice and Men. Not a strong one or anything, just there is a secondary character named Lennie who is an eighteen year old boy who is as the author put it, a young boy trapped in an eighteen year old's body--he is Teagan's younger brother's Adian's best friend. He sort of reminded me of Steinback's Lennie, that's all. Had to mention it!

The pacing was a mix of being a touch slow and other times rather well. It seems like the beginning chapters were all the setup to what happens roughly midway to the end. And that's when things get really interesting.

To avoid making this review longer, I will end it here. My overall thoughts are still rather mixed. I loved the information regarding the fae, goblins and few other creatures mentioned. I'm a sucker for those things. The characters were good, the mystery element was done superbly, yet there were times I felt my mind drifting from the story, then again I had a very difficult weekend when I started the book which could've effected my feelings for the story.

Overall I give it 3/5 stars still. It was a nice read and there is definitely room for more with the way it ended and I am curious to see where this series will go.

This title will release November 15, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!