May 9, 2011

*Review--E-ARC Die for Me by Amy Plum*

Kate Mercier’s wonderfully normal teenage life comes crashing down when her parents are killed in a car accident. Suddenly, she and her sister, Georgia, are forced to leave everything they’ve ever known in America and move to Paris to live with their grandparents. For Kate, the only way to survive is by sealing off her heart and escaping into the comforting world of books and beautiful art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate’s guarded heart with just his smile. He also happens to be one of an elite race of paranormal beings known as revenants—undead creatures who exist to sacrifice themselves over and over again in place of other humans whose time to die has not yet come.

As Kate’s attraction to Vincent grows, she must choose between the shattered life she was trying to rebuild, and the risks of loving again. But when she learns that her sister has become involved with a group of evil revenants who exist solely to murder and betray those around them, Kate is thrown into the midst of a centuries-old battle which threatens the lives of everyone she loves.

I received this e-ARC courtesy of NetGalley
Amy Plum's debut Die for Me was an interesting read. It's another different novel and I really enjoyed it, instead of the usual supernaturals we have revenants or zombies! Not the "BRAINS!" kind either, but intelligent ones--or close to normal--supernatural normal. Anyway, they basically die for people who aren't meant to die yet and then they come back to life a few days later. The whole process gets explained rather nicely in a way that's easily understandable.

The story moves along pretty nicely. Kate moves to Paris with her sister to live with her grandparents after her parents' death and she soon starts a relationship with the handsome and charming Vincent, but he has a secret that he keeps from her. Basically for awhile it goes with I don't think I want to be with you, to yeah I do, to no I don't, to I don't know, to why not! So while that was annoying in some ways, it was at least understandable. 

What amazes me about YA series is the lack of parental guidance or appearance. Kate lives with her grandparents now and sometimes I thought the grandma was a little too easy going with her 16 year old granddaughter spending a lot of time with a young man. But whatever.

Overall it was a decent read. While "the wall" I mentioned being in UF books that keeps the heroine and hero from being together was a little annoying, it was still a pretty good read. Vincent is a true romantic at heart and I wouldn't mind having a BF like that, even if he was a zombie...er revenant.

My rating is 3.5/5 stars

This title releases May 10, 2011

This book is apart of my debut author challenge as well

2 comments:

  1. I have this to read, I'm looking forward to it but I've read quite a few either glowing reviews or like yours - 3.5 star ish.

    I haven't seen the top cover before, is that a US cover?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, 'the wall'! The wall is totally killing me. And I totally know what you mean about the lack or parental supervision in a lot of the YA books lately. The zombie reference in the book actually turned me off just a slight bit. LOL! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!