Aug 6, 2009

Review--Some Girls Bite


They killed me. They healed me. They changed me.

Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was mine. I was doing fine until Chicago's vampires announced theirexistence to the world-and then a rogue vampire attacked me. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker... and this one decided the best way to save my life was to make me the walking undead.

Turns out my savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now I've traded sweating over my thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four hundred year old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects my gratitude-and servitude. Right...

But my burgeoning powers (all of a sudden, I'm surprisingly handy with some serious weaponry), an inconvenient sunlight allergy, and Ethan's attitude are the least of my concerns. Someone's still out to get me. Is it the rogue vampire who bit me? A vamp from a rival House? An angry mob bearing torches?

My initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war-and there will be blood...

Just re-read Chloe Neill's Some Girls Bite, her debut novel into vampiredom. Vampires rule Chicago, another reason to visit the Windy City! This was a fascinating novel that had even had a bit of mystery in with it's urban fantasy genre.

As the description says Merit has been changed into a vampire, not by choice, but to save her life and now she must make the best of it for better or worse. But that's not all she's learning, she's learning a lot of other things about her life that she never knew before. Family secrets. A secret about her best friend that even she [her friend] didn't know.

There was just so many twists and turns that it was a shame that the book had to end when it did! Chloe has a very nice way of writing, I love it. We are in Merit's p.o.v. and she has that nice sassy attitude where she says exactly what I would've in the situation! She doesn't let anyone push her around, not even her Master Vamp, the one where she has conflicting feelings over. Is she really feeling something for him or is it just a Master thing?

Merit is up to her neck in problems, problems with being a vamp, problems with the murders that are occuring around town, murders that are linked back to the very vampires that rescued her. Are they really the ones responsible? Or is something more sinister going on?

You'll have to read to find out. Enjoy a bit of the Chicago nightlife without ever having to step foot from your house with The Chicagoland Vampires: Some Girls Bite.

And look for the next Chicagoland Vampires novel, Friday Night Bites, in which Merit's adventures continue! Coming to a bookstore near you October 6 2009!

Here's what on the back of the book:

Vamps in Chicago!

You'd think headlines like that would have provoked the fine citizens of the Windy City to take up arms against us bloodsucking fiends. Instead, ten months later, we're enjoying a celebrity status reserved for the Hollywood elite—fending off paparazzi only slightly less dangerous than cross and stake-wielding slayers. Don't get me wrong, Joe Public isn't exactly thrilled to be living side-by-side with the undead, but at least they haven't stormed the castle yet.

But all that will change once they learn about the Raves—mass feeding parties where vampires round up humans like cattle and drink themselves silly. Most civilized vampires frown on this behavior, putting mere mortals at ease with their policy of asking a person's consent before taking a big gulp of the red stuff. However, that doesn't make good copy for a first time reporter looking to impress his high society family.

So now my "master," the centuries old, yet gorgeously well-preserved Ethan Sullivan, wants me to reconnect with my own upper class family and act as liaison between humans and vampires—and keep the more unsavory aspects of our existence out of the media. But someone doesn't want people and vamps to play nicey-nice—someone with an ancient grudge.

1 comment:

  1. Some Girls Bite is my favorite of the series! We see Merit at her all time best with her trademark snarky/sassy attitude.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!