Oct 1, 2015

Review--Lion's Share by Rachel Vincent

Abby Wade has a dangerous secret.

Two months ago, she disobeyed an order, but instead of kicking her out of the Pride, Jace offered her a job. Since then, she’s been battling a completely inappropriate crush on the young, hot Alpha. But when accepting his job offer seems like the only way to keep her skeletons safely in their closet, Abby doesn’t hesitate.

Jace Hammond has a big problem.

A rogue is slaughtering humans in his territory, and he must eliminate the threat before the entire shifter species is exposed. There could not be a worse time for Abby to accept a job he only offered as a boost to her confidence. Abby is smart, beautiful, and resilient—more than enough to distract any man from the mission. Unfortunately, she may just be the worst enforcer ever to hold the title.

As they hunt the killer, Abby’s secret becomes a threat to Jace’s authority and to her own life. But the real danger is the grip she has on his twice-shy heart.



It’s been too many years since I’ve been away from the Pride, but Rachel Vincent has returned to her beloved world that first gained my attention to her name with Lion’s Share and it is basically the MOST AWESOME thing ever!!

While you may be wondering about this spinoff and thinking, there’s a 6 book series ahead of it, is it necessary to read all of those first? No. But should you, just to enjoy the incredible awesomeness that is Rachel Vincent? Hell yes. There was also a short story Rachel wrote years ago, and then revised and re-published last year, Hunt, that would actually be beneficial to reading before this one. Events that happen there are sort of the prelude to what goes down in this story.

Now I believe I finished the Shifters series before my blogging days, but friends from the old Pride discussion board, know that I was totally and 100% Team Marc! Faythe and Marc belonged together. I liked Jace. I just didn’t feel like he was meant to be with Faythe. So when he went his own way at the end of Alpha, I was sad and happy for him. And then when I saw his role in Hunt, I suddenly realized how much he and Abby belonged together! That she was THE ONE for him! Though there is an age difference between them, it almost seems nonsensical in the light of day. Plus, both Abby and Jace have to get over their deliberating feelings about having a relationship with the other.

Abby is engaged to one of Jace’s enforcers, but it’s clear that there’s no love going on between them. Which is sad, because Brian is a really sweet guy. But he’s almost too sweet for Abby’s liking. Something I wasn’t sure I could totally grasp, but when Abby explains things to herself and others, it totally makes sense.

But the ever debating/growing romance is only a part of the story. The bulk of the story starts with an enforcer bring a tabby home from college unexpectedly. Sound familiar? LOL. There’s a stray on the loose who is killing humans and basically putting the existence of the Prides at risk of exposure and all sorts of bad things that come with it. Abby manages to finagle her way to be an enforcer to help solve the case. And all the while, she lets on that she knows more than she’s telling.

I haven’t really mentioned it yet, but this story is told through both Abby and Jace’s point of views and I loved that! I loved getting to know Jace on a deeper level. And I will admit to be a little weepy over his growing feelings for Abby, because Abby is after all “spoken for” and Jace has been down that road before and got hurt. But I think based on the cover alone we kind of know what direction these two are headed in! And Rachel did not disappoint!!

Lion’s Share is the first in the new Wildcats series, which is a spinoff of the original Shifters. In earlier talks, Rachel says that the books will show us more of the other characters that we hardly got to know. Though I am expecting it will be among Abby and Jace’s new circle of friends, so to speak. Needless to say, I will be breathlessly waiting over here for the next book!

Rachel reminds us old fans why we adored the Shifters series with Lion’s Share. Abby is not Faythe, yet you can see some of that same stubbornness Faythe had in Abby as well. Both were strong minded women, though it does seem clear that Abby knows exactly what she wants. No debating here! What was also a wonderful experience was seeing some of the Shifters gang again, some five years late (if I am remembering right, so five years after Alpha). Faythe and Marc, Owen and Manx, Michael and Kaci…it was great! I loved seeing everyone again. I loved seeing them in their happy endings, so to speak, as the chaos that’s about to hit their lives might interrupt that a bit!

But basically, this book was just so amazing!! And as I said before, if you’re new to the Shifters world, you don’t “have” to read the first 6 books to enjoy this new adventure. You’ll definitely receive some spoilers to endings and such, but at least you all can binge read the books! I was among the unlucky few who was waiting for every book, especially after Prey. Yeah, not even going to go there! But to all my Shifters fans, please do read this book, because it’s truly the GREATest read ever!!!


Overall Rating 5/5 stars




1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Rachel Vincent's Wildcat's series! I was thrilled to see this book about Jace, I loved him so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!