Jul 4, 2016

ARC Review--The Shadow Hour by Melissa Grey

Everything in Echo's life changed in a blinding flash when she learned the startling truth: she is the firebird, the creature of light that is said to bring peace.

The firebird has come into the world, but it has not come alone. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, and Echo can feel a great and terrible darkness rising in the distance. Cosmic forces threaten to tear the world apart.

Echo has already lost her home, her family, and her boyfriend. Now, as the firebird, her path is filled with even greater dangers than the ones she's already overcome.

She knows the Dragon Prince will not fall without a fight.

Echo must decide: can she wield the power of her true nature--or will it prove too strong for her, and burn what's left of her world to the ground?

Welcome to the shadow hour.



I received this ARC from the author in a contest I won on Twitter. I was in no way compensated for this review. 

Melissa Grey returns to the completely awesome world of The Girl at Midnight with The Shadow Hour! This one really picks up the pace in Echo’s journey, and while it’s been way too long since I read TGAM, leaving me with that lack of good memory to what’s happened already, I followed along fairly well all things considered. We get enough of a recap throughout that it wasn’t as painful as other books I’ve read that don’t divulge in recaps. Here, we get those little sprinkles of recaps that I’ve mentioned before.

Anyway, in the beginning of this one we join Echo and her friends in London, as they are hiding out while trying to figure out their next move. It’s not long before it’s decided for them when they are called home. Big scary things are happening. A darkness has been unleashed and it’s infected some of the Avicen, the Ala among them. Echo being Echo takes it upon herself to leave the safety of the Avicen stronghold and find the cure.

And so begins the journey, which, naturally, is fraught with perils and danger and lots of action! And since this is a multi-third-person narrative, we get to see lots of the story happening all over the place. And don’t be worried about getting confused, it’s not at all hard to find out who’s the point of view you’re in, even without any chapter headers. I tend to like the multi-narratives like this because it really lets you see what’s happening with all the characters who tend to be separated more than they are together. And thankfully, these chapters don’t always leave you with the agonizing cliffhanger before jumping to another person. There’s no rhyme or pattern to these narrative changes, it’s almost random…yet it lets you stay on top of things.

I quite enjoyed the pacing of this one. It took me a little longer to read it than I would’ve liked, but that was more so due to outside factors out of my control. But those little breaks in between made it harder for me to get caught back up. That can be the downside of the multi-narrative I guess, so try not have days in between reading this one if you can help it. Or if you have the super memory I can only dream of, have at it!

With the many fabulous characters to enjoy, there’s also more than enough romance to be had. Though, ironically, the romantic moments are few and far between. I like seeing the characters finding their special someone. Though with Echo she more so finds herself in the thick of a love triangle. One that we pretty much knew was coming since she had a boyfriend she left behind before the tension with Caius started happening. I like Caius! Though it’s been some time since I read TGAM I can’t remember my exact feels for him, but he’s definitely a standup guy. He’s not what you would expect from an ex Dragon Prince.

Things really heat up (no pun intended) on the war front. The Avicen and Drakharins have been at it for years and it seems the final battle is soon to come. One that will involve our firebird naturally, but that particular battle is set aside for the meantime what with Echo and co trying to find a cure to the darkness that has taken over the Avicen. 

The Shadow Hour was as exciting as it was entertaining! It has plenty of action, romance, humor and an amazing cast of characters to keep readers enchanted until its epic end! Be sure to check out this amazing trilogy if you haven’t already!


Overall Rating 4/5 stars 


The Shadow Hour releases July 12, 2016




4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you really loved this one and thank you for the tip about trying to give this one as much solo time & attention to read it without distractions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read the first book in this series, but I really want to try it! I'm so glad that you loved this one too! It sucks when second books lag, but it really sounds like this one just didn't. Great review! :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I loved the first book and can't wait to read the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to read the first book in the series, I'm pleased that you enjoyed the sequel.

    A lovely review! Sharon - Obsession with Books

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!