Dec 29, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly blog post by Jill over at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights releases we're eagerly awaiting.

Well moving down my list already has me skipping 2 releases since I read them early and LOVED them, which I'll still be buying copies, so my next book I can't wait to read is Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright.

As you know I'm not a Twilight fan, but I still plan on reading this new version of Red Riding Hood next month that's from the Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke. Mostly because I love retellings of fairy tales. And I already plan on seeing the movie too.

I read quite a few of fairytale retellings in the YA line and I did read a Red Riding Hood one where the wolf was a werewolf and Red Riding Hood falls in love with him. Most likely a totally different story from this one, but when I heard there was a book coming out months before the movie, I thought I had to check it out!


The body of a young girl is discovered in a field of wheat. Her flesh mutilated by telltale claw marks. The Wolf has broken the peace.

When Valerie learns that her sister has been killed by the legendary creature, she finds herself at the center of a dark mystery, one that has plagued her village for generations. It is revealed that the werewolf lives among them, and everyone in the village immediately becomes a suspect. Could her secret love Peter be behind the attacks on her town? Is it her betrothed, Henry? Or someone even closer to her?

As the men in the village hunt for the beast, Valerie turns to her grandmother for help. She gives Valerie a handmade red riding cloak, and guides her through the web of lies and deception that has held her town together for so long. Will Valerie discover the werewolf's identity before the town is ripped apart?

This is a dangerous new vision of a classic fairy tale, the happy ending could be hard to find.

TITLE: Red Riding Hood
AUTHOR:
Sarah Blakley-Cartwright
GENRE:
YA Fantasy
RELEASE DATE:
January 25, 2011

10 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I like the cover. Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A superb pick! It looks really intereasting. Happy Reading :)
    Check out what I'm Waiting On Wednesday

    Mia @GrippedintoBooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound excellent! I'll have to add it to my list. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh I love fairy tale retellings! And the preview for this movie looks amazing, I can't wait for it to come out. Nice choice this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having seen this one a while back and thinking it seemed like an okay read hope you get a chance to see if it is or not Jessica, not sure if Red Riding Hood in a werewolf story is my thing or not but it could be good!


    Thanks for stopping by my post earlier today too!

    jackie >_<

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited about this and already have it pre-ordered. I am a huge fan of retelling and this one sounds awesome. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard anything about this till the movie trailer started traveling around and now I wanna read the book, so thanks for picking it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shadows of a Down East Summer: An Antique Print Mystery
    By Lea Wait
    Publication date: April 1, 2011

    In the summer of 1890, two young women posed for artist Winslow Homer on the coast of Maine. What happened that summer, the secrets the women kept, and the lies they told, changed their families forever. Now, more than a hundred years later, one of their descendants has been murdered, leaving to antique print dealer Maggie Summer the family papers that may finally reveal the truth. Maggie's vision of a relaxing vacation in Maine- antiquing with beau Will Brewer and visiting his Aunt Nettie- turns into a murder investigation. Maggie must discover which of the family myths are based on reality, before someone she cares about becomes the next victim. With the centennial of Homer's death in 2010, there is renewed interest in his work and in the renovation of his studio in Prouts Neck, Maine, where some of the novel's action takes place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I almost bought this book yesterday. Hmmm, maybe another trip to the bookstore is in order.

    This week Reading Lark is looking forward to Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles. Check us out:
    http://readinglark.blogspot.com/2010/12/waiting-on-wednesday-chain-reaction-by.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!