Jul 1, 2014

Teaser & Top Ten Tuesdays

http://shouldbereading.wordpress.com/
Here are the rules:


1. Grab your current read
2. Open to a page
3. Pick out 2 lines that are SPOILER FREE
4. Name the title, author, etc



Again, I wrote up my posts early and since I was reading Talon at the time prior to going on vacation, here's a Talon teaser!


"Releasing Lexi, I straightened, marched up to the reeling jock, and kicked him where the sun didn't shine.

'That's for stealing my first kiss,' I told him as he made a strangled noise and dropped to the sand again, clutching his groin." p 73*


*Quote comes from my ARC copy, therefore it and its page number are not final.








TITLE: Talon
AUTHOR: Julie Kagawa

PUBLISHER: Harlequin Teen
GENRE: Paranormal/Fantasy YA
RELEASE DATE: October 28, 2014



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.



This week's question is: Top Ten Favorite Classic Books (however you define classic) 


*in no particular order


Uhhh...yeah, I'm a horrible English major. I really couldn't get into the classics myself. I was already knee deep in paranormal cravings when I was 13, so pretty much every time I HAD to read one, I hated it. It didn't hold my interest whatsoever.

So for this, we're going to go "old school paranormal reads". I might have had a similar topic choice at one point, but I am going to try to keep my paranormal read picks to be at least 10 years old, if not older!


1. Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison--ironically it's turning 10 years old this year! This was one of my first adult Urban Fantasy reads and I loved it! It was everything I was hoping for!
2. Bitten by Kelley Armstrong--another read that started my adult UF run! Printed in 2001 this became one of my all time fave series! (Once I started reading them in order! Somehow missed the Elena ones and started with Paige and was pretty confused!)
3. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris--took a bit of doing, but I found one cover pic that shows what the series was originally titled: Southern Vampire Mystery. I loved these early ones! The mystery element was much stronger in the beginning then it was in later books! Plus it just had so much going on that it really drew you in, but the whole vampire politics thing wasn't there yet! This was printed in 2001!


4. Ill Wind by Rachel Caine--first published in 2003 this was one of my first series that didn't involve vampires or werewolves, you know the obvious paranormal peeps! Instead we have people who can control elements of the weather! And of course smokin hot Djinn, named David!
5. Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes--like I could go without mentioning this one! As I love to call it...The One that Started it All! My first and certainly not last vampire novel! Published in 2001! The magical year when I discovered paranormal reads! (but was reading them from the YA shelves!)
6. Old Magic by Marianne Curley--one of my most fave magical reads! I looooved this book so much! Re-read quite a few times actually! Originally published in 2000, but likely not in the US until 2002 this is definitely a classic read for me!



7. The Forbidden Game Trilogy by L.J. Smith--well for this particularly omnibus it was printed in 1997, ahhh the 90s! Childhood is calling! I probably read this in 2001 I want to say! It was my first L.J. Smith read and I loved it!
8. The Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith--another series that I fell in love with, shortly after The Forbidden Game! I remember because when I checked the pub date of 1991, I realized I was reading a book that was a decade old! Pretty sure that's the correct date as I found on goodreads!
9. Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone by J.K. Rowling--THE CLASSIC of my generation! First published in 1997, I probably didn't start reading it until 1999 when my 6th grade teacher was reading it to us, I then received the first book for Xmas and I read it at my own pace and totally fell in love!


10. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas--the one and only "classic" that I have ever truly enjoyed (besides Dracula, and Frankenstein is in my TBR mountain to read still!)! Forced to read it my senior year in high school--when I was already deep into the paranormal love--I read this one and for reasons beyond my belief I totally LOVED it! So much that I even bought a copy that was the full, unabridged edition! I still don't know why that I became so armored with it, but I did! And since it was published in 1844 (according to GR) I'd say that takes the cake for classic picks!







 

24 comments:

  1. That quote is hilarious! Love Julie Kagawa. :D

    Harry Potter's amazing! I also want to read Bitten since I enjoyed Armstrong's Darkest Powers series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I love that teaser, Jessica! And I love that your list of classics includes only one 'defined' classic. HP, The Hollows, The Otherworld...yep, those series rock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHH Talon!!!! And the original Southern Vampire books were so good and then they just started going downhill.

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great teaser! I'll have to add that one to my TBR list. Thank you for stopping by. :)
    Old follower

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the cover on Talon - simple but eye-catching. I don't read much paranormal, but this sounds like a good one.
    My Teaser is from THE FRIENDSHIP STAR QUILT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list!! I totally feel the bad English major thing when at look at some of the 'classic' classics that I've never picked up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like what you did there! You really made the idea of a "classic" your own! Very creative! I also love that Harry Potter made your list!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  8. Harry Potter is just the ultimate classic. Seriously you have Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights etc but Harry Potter is just amazing. Great list!

    Thanks for stopping by :)
    Becca @ Lost in Thought

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your list of classic books. Usually I would not think of these as being classics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, love the teaser! Julie Kagawa's books are epic :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that teaser! I can't wait to read Talon. Thanks for visiting my blogs. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read a lot of classics either. Too many contemporary books I want to read. The Count of Monte Cristo is on my list to read.

    Thanks for visiting The Book Connection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice teaser, LOL. The only book in your list I've read is the HP series, though "Count" is in Mount TBR. If you don't like the classics, I fear you will not be enamored with my teaser this week: The Sun Also Rises

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great list! I feel you on the whole classics thing...I have hardly read any!

    I loved Bitten and Dead until Dark as well! I cheated with the Woman of the Otherworld series and just read all of Clay and Elena's books, I should probably get to the rest soon!
    I guess I did my list kind of similar to yours as well :)
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh, I like that tease. She sure sounds feisty.

    Marilyn @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should try maybe some classic "horror" books. Poe, Dracula?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE Julie Kagawa! I didn't even know this was coming out; I'll definitely be on the lookout for it this fall!

    I haven't actually read a whole lot of UF; I did just watch the first season of Bitten (Not sure how it compares to the book, but it definitely made me want to read it, especially since I love Kelley Armstrong's YA stuff)! Interesting list! I'll have to check some of these out :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice teaser. Gotta love when the guy gets it where the sun don't shine. :D Great list as well. HP made mine, too. I really want to read The Count of Monte Cristo. I recently read Man in the Iron Mask and had a hard time getting through it, so I haven't been too eager to pick up another Dumas, but I hope to get to it eventually. :D Thanks so much for stopping by my blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved Old Magic and Demon In My View! They're old favorites of mine! :D and of course Harry Potter! Great picks :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahahahaha! Oh Julie Kagawa, you've done it again. I'm SO jealous. I need Talon so bad.

    Thanks for stopping by!
    Daphne @ Reading Until Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really need to look into that series by Julie Kagawa. I read her Iron Fey series and LOVED it so I am sure I will love her other books too!!

    I had trouble picking classics this week too. I am one who doesn't like them much either! So great idea switching it up! And woohoo for Harry Potter making the list ;)

    Amber @ Paradise of Pages

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh, AWESOME Teaser!!! I am SOOOO excited to read TALON!!! I hoped you really enjoyed it! :)

    Thanks for stopping by my TT @ Addicted Readers!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Damn!! I love that tease! I want to read Talon Sooooooo bad!

    Thanx for visiting my TT
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad they changed the name to Dead Until Dark. Sounds so much better.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!