May 3, 2017

Review--Infinite Risk by Ann Aguirre

In a world of infinite risk, the stakes have never been so high.

Beyond the pull of life and death lies the immortal game. Edie Kramer has leaped back to put things right and save the boy she loves. Alone in the wrong timestream, she must reinvent herself and square off against dangerous creatures determined to win this mortal match once and for all.

But righting past wrongs carries fresh dangers. As she navigates a new school and tries to put Kian on a different path, she also battles powerful enemies who will stop at nothing to keep her from derailing their deadly schemes. With few allies and her first love treating her like a stranger, Edie faces the most dangerous enemy of all―time itself. Yet she’s come a long way from that dark night on the bridge, and when her back’s to the wall, she’ll go down fighting…


Whoa. Mind officially blown! I’m not sure how I feel right now! I just finished Ann Aguirre’s Infinite Risk, the conclusion to the Immortal Game trilogy and I’m left with a mess of emotions! Seriously, I’m a mess right now! LOL! If you’re not up to date with this trilogy, note that I will be mentioning spoilers from the previous book, so be forewarned!

Edie made the ultimate decision at the end of Public Enemies, Kian was dead, her mother was dead, her father had been kidnapped and returned a different person—metaphorically speaking, he’s still her dad—and things are just nuts and unpleasant. So Edie decides she will go back in time—honestly where she got that idea was a little lost on me, even after reading Public Enemies—and basically change the entire timeline so that Kian wouldn’t die. And she makes other changes too.

Edie knows better than to “meet” her younger self and give out dire warnings, so she goes back to before Kian would make his ultimate decision that would muck up his life. When she meets him, she nearly falls in love again. He’s still her Kian in some of his nerdy, lovable ways, but he lacks confidence. It’s almost like she’s helping herself in a way that she wished would’ve happened. But she decides she must befriend Kian and basically give him a life worth living. And so begin Edie’s path and making changes that ultimately change the world.

This book was pretty awesome! I mean the whole time travel thing was a little sketchy to start with because I couldn’t remember why Edie thought it was possible, but naturally, some things must be rolled with! Since she was only going back about five years, she had to catch herself a few times on things she said, like not wanting to mention books that haven’t been published yet and the like! It was kind of funny in some ways! I had to admit I loved watching her help shape Kian into being more confident. She wasn’t trying to change him per se, she was merely trying to get him to see life differently and to take the plunge when it came to friendships and other social interactions. Advice I sometimes wish I knew back then too! LOL!

Oddly, Edie had to prevent herself and Kian from falling in love all over again, because she knew that she couldn’t stay in this timeline that she was in. It just wouldn’t work really. Plus her younger self was still out there, and there’s a certain time when she decides to help herself very subtly. I almost missed what Edie was trying to do for her younger self, but by the end it makes sense! But yet I was still a bit confused too! Time paradoxes will do that to you!

There was quite the bit of action in this one! Namely, all Edie’s enemies from her future are basically alive and kicking in the past! So things get dicey! The only constant in this time is the Harbinger. He’s the only one who knows Edie from the future and past. As I said, some of these things get a little complicated with the whole time traveling deal, but trust me, when you’re reading it, it’s easy enough to follow. I apparently don’t remember the Harbinger well enough from the first book to truly gauge his character development, but I do remember feeling his changes coming about in the last book. And in this one, that idea is strengthen to full force!

Despite not grasping the overall flow of this series, I truly did enjoy it! This final book was amazing! Though it does leave me feeling flummoxed as Edie’s time traveling does make changes and it makes you wonder what was the point in the end? But I’m kind of ignoring that voice! The ending was superb!! And the little epilogue at the end left me with all the feels! Though again, some involved confusion with the time paradoxes! LOL! But overall, this was definitely an incredibly amazing series that was filled with a variety of relatable life lessons. I felt like I could really connect with Edie on a number of levels. I am happy with the way this one ended!


Overall Rating 4.5/5 stars 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!