May 9, 2017

Teaser & Top Ten Tuesdays

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by Purple Princess of The Purple Booker



Here are the rules:

1. Grab your current read
2. Open to a page
3. Pick out 2 lines that are SPOILER FREE
4. Name the title, author, etc.



"In her mother's efforts to seclude her and protect her secret, Queen Aphra had effectively cut Rora off from almost all personal contact. She'd traded friendship for solitude, social interaction for books. At her mother's insistence, her queen's demand, Rora alienated everyone she knew to keep a secret that weighed on her more than this gown and headdress ever would." p 30*


*Quote comes from the ARC, therefore it and its page number are not final.








TITLE: Roar
AUTHOR: Cora Carmack
PUBLISHER: Tor Teen
GENRE: Fantasy YA
RELEASE DATE: June 13, 2017  



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.



This week's topic is: Ten Things on My Reading Wishlist


*in no particular order



(and ironically both of these books can sort of fall under #9!) 
 
10. MORE VAMPIRES--I feel like vampires are a dying breed. And I am soooo not finished with my first love! Guess I better get back to writing my own!
9. HATE TO LOVE--yeah, I gotta admit, I like the hate to love romances! Of course I need them in my paranormal reads. Lately I feel like the romance is either insta or the like to love.
8. MORE WEREWOLVES--is it me or are our furry friends being neglected? I feel like a lot of traditional paranormal is being neglected. Again, I have yet to "tire" of such things. 
 



7. MIDWEST SETTINGS--what can I say? I'd like to see my city or another MO city in the mix of settings. Feel like if we enter the Midwest at all it's for Chicago. Le sigh...
6. PARANORMAL NEW ADULT--very few of these exist! Alyssa Rose Ivy being an exception! :)
5. MORE URBAN LEGENDS--stories that would maybe depict an origin of said urban legend or having it somehow be really happening in the story. Think of the first season or two of Supernatural, like the Blood Mary episode!



4. MORE HISTORICAL PARANORMAL ROMANCES--yeah, that's a mouthful! I really enjoyed Kristen Callihan's Darkest London series (still need to read the last one!)! More stories like that! Historical setting, yet paranormal happenings! Gail Carriger's series works as an example as well! :)
3. MORE VILLAIN ORIGIN STORIES--examples include Heartless by Marissa Meyer and Unhooked by Lisa Maxwell! Stories that change the way you look at the famed villains!
2. MORE GHOST STORIES--feel like ghosts are falling off the map too! There have been some good ghost books, not just ones that are haunted house books either but actual ghost books like Hereafter, Anna Dressed in Blood, and Only the Good Die Young--another trilogy I need to finish!



1. MORE BOOKISH-NESS--I miss seeing characters with a passion for reading. These days, it's just one that mentions liking to read, maybe another scene with a book, but that's it! I want more bookish time! Like the early days for Katy in the Lux books!


 

15 comments:

  1. Yes, I'd love more ghost stories too! Great list as always! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why isolate her? Can't decide if I am going to read this one or not. Yes to more werewolves, paranormal new adult, historical paranormal and bookish characters!

    My TT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love a good enemies to lovers story. The angst. The tension. When that passion to hate transfers to the passion to love, it's usually really hot. Now you have me trying to think of NA paranormals. I can not think of many, but Addison Moore had the Celestra series, and wasn't Carmack's Inspire NA? Oooh! And Gail Carriger, did the Custard Protocol, and I love Carriger. You really have me thinking with this list, but I agree, there appears to be a dearth of many of the things you mentioned.
    Sam @ WLABB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO WITH YOU on the villain origin stories! I love them so much! I haven't read many good ghost books so I'll have to check that one out! Have you read The House?

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great! I can't believe there isn't a lot of paranormal NA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, I feel werewolves are becoming extinct! I love a good werewolf book and we just don't seem to see many now a days. I also think vampires are dying out some, but I've read some really great vampire books in the past year, especially Certain Dark Things and The Suicide Motor Club. If the vampires books are getting better, I can do with fewer of them. Thanks for sharing such a great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love more villian POV stories. I love seeing a completely new angle in a retelling.
    My TTT Reading Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bookish characters are on my list too. Bookworms are who books are written for so I think we should be represented in the characters we read as well.
    My list here: http://wp.me/p4cJzL-3o8

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm that terrible person who can't name Midwestern states/cities because it all equals Chicago to me. Haha. But I think a St. Louis setting would be super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love this list. All these covers made me want to shop for books.
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Roar already caught my eye. Great cover and title.

    My TT from Goofy Newfies

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am always ready to read more books set in the Midwest. There are a few but not as many as I would like to see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can definitely agree with you on the need for more bookishness!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes to all of them! I could use some more hate to love relationships in my bookish life! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love hate to love! I agree ghost stories would be really awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!