Mar 8, 2010

Review--Demon Possessed



A ROMANTIC INTERLUDE...OR A DATE WITH HELL?

Psychologist and psychic Megan Chase has grown remarkably comfortable hanging out with demons. The demon "family" she leads is happy, her solo practice is stabilizing, and she and her steamy demon lover, Greyson Dante, are closer than ever. But when the couple books a week at a luxury hotel to attend a meeting of demon leaders, some unanticipated problems occur. An FBI agent with an unhealthy interest in less-than-legitimate demon business practices shows up; the demon community is urging Megan to undergo the rite that will maker her a real demon; and a slightly shady minister is holding on of his wildly popular "weekend exorcisms" just down the road. And oh, yes, someone with scary magical abilities is attempting to kill her. Then, just when it seems as if things couldn't possibly get any worse, a secret comes to light that could jeopardize Megan and Greyson's future--if Megan manages to live that long. With things heating up, it's becoming difficult for her to keep a cool head...

Finished Stacia Kane's Demon Possessed, which from what I heard on her website, is the last Megan Chase book. In May she starts a new series that "is a cross between Ghostbusters and Escape From New York, with an awesome punk rock soundtrack, black magic, greasers, drugs, human sacrifices, and a black 1969 Chevelle." It sounds pretty interesting to me!

On a side note, my reading is going to be put on hold, which is a shame because I read the first 2 chapters of the Mark of the Demon by Diana Rowland and was really getting into it, but I need to get going on some homework reading and write up a lovely 7-8 page paper. Fun. I will still try to read some of my regular books when time allows though and always I tend to post random nonsense that's happening that is of interest and relates, sometimes, to what I read.

Onto the review: The book starts off with a bang in that Megan is already being questioned by the FBI agent and things get really interesting, because this woman seems to know an awful lot about the demons, not in the sense that they are demons, but the things that they do. Megan has to do her best to dodge the questions and give unhelpful answers, and the poor thing has her own birthday coming up and she has to go through all this hell before she gets to it! Anyway the demon retreat, so to speak, becomes the center of attention for the remainder of the book.

But while packing there is the first attempt on Megan's life by the unknown stalker/killer and it leaves her and Greyson both worried. The retreat leads to some very interesting bits of info, as that a few demons are not pleased that Megan is head of her own demon group and yet she is still human. Yes, she still has two hearts and part of a demon inside her or something to that fact--that bit still confused me, so I just accepted it at face value. When there is a second attempt made on her life at the hotel things get really serious and Megan and Greyson soon come to the conclusion that the person who is behind all this is at the meeting--this actually may have been their conclusion after the first attack.

But around this time is when the problems between Megan and Greyson come up and begin to really develop into A BIG PROBLEM. There are arguments, disagreements, wanting different things...you can see where this is going.

I hate-hate-hate to say it but it was almost like a Ross and Rachel kind of thing, although they didn't call it a "break". But they both clearly still love each other and want one another in their lives.

I'm surprised to find myself admitting how heart-rendering it was when they broke up and it seemed like they were never going to come sort of resolution where they both could be happy. I kept taking sides, thinking first Greyson's right, than Megan's right, but then I thought Megan is kind of wrong, but then so was Greyson. Major confliction. And someone is still trying to kill Megan and having to still need Greyson's help in finding out who makes things rather sticky.

All the characters are back, Brian, Tera, Nick, the brothers--who are just too funny! Those guys crack me up sometimes, they really do act like children at times and it's very humorous!

The big mystery as to who was behind Megan's death threats was written very good, while I had my suspicions with one particular character, it all got thrown out of whack by the conclusion--which I won't go further into those details. One suspicion I sort of had but didn't think too much on was right though.

As for the complete ending of this series, I say it was pretty good. All the lose ends were tied up and while there was an ending, it is possible for another story or event to take place later. Isn't there always? Even if all the characters live HEA, there could always be something that pops up later in their lives that brings the chaos back.

When I think of it, this was a fairly fast read, I read a lot yesterday even though I had to be at work, but since it's slow at my pt job, I just did my work and then sat in a corner and read a good chunk of the book and finished it today.

Although, I do wish I could've read the series, short as they were, back to back, or close to it. I've read too much in between that I couldn't remember all the details from the previous ones. But it wasn't so bad, all the important details from the past two books are mentioned here and there when necessary, I'm just weird and would like to remember those details a little better.

Overall a very good conclusion to the series and may be my favorite of the three. Looking forward to the Chess Putnam series coming in May though. I like ghosts!

Until next time readers, it may be awhile before my review of Mark of the Demon, but I will get to it eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!