Jun 29, 2011

Review--Deadworld by J.N. Duncan

She's as tough as anything haunting Chicago's streets. But to deal with an inhuman power that won't stay buried, this FBI agent needs help that comes at an immortal price. . .

Jackie Rutledge has seen her share of supernatural killers. But her latest murder case is what recurring nightmares are made of. Brutally exsanguinated human victims, vanishing-into-the-ether evidence, and a city on the edge of panic mean that she and her psychic partner, Laurel, are going to need more than just backup . . .

So Jackie is fine with any help rugged P.I. Nick Anderson can give--even if that includes the impish ghost and sexy vampire who make up his team. But Nick is hiding secrets of his own. And Jackie's investigation has plunged them both into a vengeful game reaching back centuries--and up against a malevolent force hungry for more than just victory...

J.N. Duncan's Deadworld was an okay sort of read. I've had it on my TBR pile for awhile now and managed to get to it recenty. Although unfortunately I wasn't very impressed. It just wasn't the book for me.

The pacing was a little too slow for me at times. It centered around the need to find the bad guy who was killing people, which was fine. You never knew who he was going after next. Jackie was determined to find him and ends up accepting outside help from Nick Anderson who had started out as a suspect, but was more involved in this "case" than she'd expected.

There was quite the shocking surprise in the book as well. One I really wasn't expecting, which made for interesting times and all, but still it took over 200 pages to get to that point. Then there was a sort of lapse in the plot where nothing really happens. It's the "down time".

I'm not really sure where everything fell flat for me. I kept reading because I wanted to finish the book. But in the end, it was just sort of meh. Jackie made an interesting character, she was flawed in some ways, but that made her more real I guess you could say. Although some of her actions and choices weren't always great. There was also a bit too much cussing in the book as well for me. I thought I was used to it, but man, this book really challenges me with the swearing. I didn't mind it too much, but at several points it seemed like there was swearing and dropping of the f-bomb on every page! And if a page happened to not have that word on it, it woud be there 2-3 times on the next. It just seemed unnecessary to have it used so many times.

With that and the rather slow pacing, this book just didn't go well for me. The characters were still pretty good. Very colorful and flavorful I guess you could say. But still this one just wasn't for me.

Overall rating 2/5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your honest review Jess!I have this book in my TBR pile as well, but I've been a bit skeptical about it.
    Hmmm... I still want to give it a shot thought, to see if the writing and the story fit me.:) The synopsis makes it sound pretty interesting.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't really say much to the "not right for me" review. While I certainly hope that everyone will enjoy my story, the experience is so completely subjective that I can never expect that to happen. Deea, I hope you decide to take the plunge and enjoy it. Jessica, thanks for taking the time to read to the end. Perhaps you'd find book two a bit more to your liking. The pacing at least, I believe, is a bit swifter than book one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the honest review! I personally put this book down and am calling it a DNF for now. But for many DNF books that I really wanted to like, I tend to bookmark where I left off in case I want to go back. I have around seven of these on my bookshelf. I never know if I'm truly not into a book or if it's just not what I want to read at that moment, so I tend to hold on to them for a bit.

    Like right now... I know I'm having trouble getting through Dead Iron by Devon Monk and Spell Bound by Kelley Armstrong (both books I really wanted to read) because My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland is taunting me from its bookcase.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!