Dec 12, 2011

ARC Review--Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder

Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honored for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader, an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own, is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince—leader of a campaign against her people. As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for. Because the price of peace may well be her life....

I received this e-ARC from NetGalley for review

I LOVE Maria V. Snyder's books! I've been a huge fan since Poison Study! She's probably my only fantasy author I read. So when I saw Touch of Power on Netgalley, I pounced and was ever so glad to be on auto approval from Harlequin!!

Maria's fantasy books are spectacular because they're not built in a way that's complex, like the LOTR. I tried watching the first movie years ago and was so lost! Maria's fantasy worlds are nothing like that, yet they aren't reality. The time and place are made up, but you can fall so easily into her worlds and never want to return to reality! Believe me I've been there!
Touch of Power brings to us a new world, it's not Ixia, but it's similar in ways. Magic is accepted, yet healers are not accepted so much since everyone believes they are the reason for the plague and therefore many deaths. One thing that I found to be interesting was that healers heal the sick and dying and by taking on the victim's illness or injuries themselves. They don't necessarily die after that either, their body heals itself rather quickly. Except from the plague. No one can survive that. 

Avry is a healer who's been on the run so to speak for years. She remains hidden for her own safety but when her heart gets the best of her and she heals a small child who was dying, she subjects herself to punishment--which is death. But when she's sitting in the cells awaiting her death, rescue comes in a band of men who wish to save her from death. Turns out they've been looking for a healer for years to heal their ruler.

But their ruler happens to be a "bad" one, or at least Avry believes. Kerrick and his friends will have to do their best to convince her that he isn't as evil as she was led to believe. Of course their journey is filled with perils and danger and attempts on Avry's life, for there's a bounty on her head and people are after her for the money.

While not the same world as the Study and Glass series, I still felt at home within this new series! I loved the characters, Balen was one of my faves! He so reminded me of Janco in some ways. Of course the others, Quain and Vinn reminded me of Ari and Janco! And Kerrick does remind me a little of Valek in some ways as well!

I'm not saying that this book is a repeat of Maria's other series! Goodness no! Just that some of these characters' traits reminded me of her past characters, like they would all be friends or family for that matter! Avry is totally different from Yelena and Opal. She's a strong willed heroine who enjoys helping people, even if it makes her ill for awhile. Healing is her specialty and she wouldn't give it up for anything, even though she's resented for it.

I just totally fell in love with the book! There is some romance involved, and it's easy to see who it begins with, but that's not an issue. I loved seeing the growth of the relationship! That's always my fave about romance! I sooooo cannot wait to read the next one in the series which won't be out til 2013 I believe...regardless it's still gonna be too long of a wait! But wait I shall, because it was just extraordinary! If you've loved Maria's other series, you will love this one! And if you haven't read Maria's other series--which I HIGHLY recommend--you should read this one! You won't be lost or confused by not having read the previous books since this sets up a different kind of world!

Overall rating 5/5 stars

Touch of Power releases December 20, 2011

And isn't the UK cover just lovely? I think I might have to buy this one because I absolutely love it! The US one's gorgeous as well, but this UK one really takes my breath away!




3 comments:

  1. I just started this today and am around halfway in already and loving it! It's the first book by Snyder I read and I'm definitely not disappointed! I'm blown away and can't wait to see how it ends. Great review, Jessica! (And both covers or gorgeous!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I really need to get busy and read more of her books! So glad you weren't disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my ARC copy of this I must read soon. I'm so glad you enjoyed it:D

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!