May 17, 2016

Teaser & Top Ten Tuesdays

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by MizB of Books and Beat


Here are the rules:


1. Grab your current read
2. Open to a page
3. Pick out 2 lines that are SPOILER FREE
4. Name the title, author, etc.


NOTE there is a spoiler from Pride and Prejudice within this teaser! You have been forewarned! Though, the end of the teaser had me laughing hysterically! LOL!




"'You don't suppose there's a sequel to Pride and Prejudice tucked in here?' Charon says, poking around the pile. 'The book was quite good, but I am not completely convinced that Lizzie and Darcy are going to last...Ooh, this looks promising,' he says, pulling out a thick book with a torn black cover, I catch a glimpse of white hands holding a red apple on the front before Charon tucks it under his arm." Kindle loc. 62%*


*Quote comes from the eARC therefore it and its location are not final.





TITLE: The Immortal Throne
AUTHOR: Bree Despain

PUBLISHER: Carolrhoda Books
GENRE: Fantasy/Mythology YA
RELEASE DATE: October 1, 2016





Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.



This week's topic is: Ten Books I Picked Up On A Whim


*in no particular order


Oooh hard one! I'm gonna have to go waaaayyyyyy back to the days before blogging!


1. DEAD WITCH WALKING by Kim Harrison--I was wanting a paranormal read and I was tired of the YA section only having contemporaries and I stumbled upon Kim's book and LOVED it!!
2. HALFWAY TO THE GRAVE by Jeaniene Frost--ironically I picked this one up when I saw it at BORDERS in the new section of shelves. The cover was kickass and looked awesome!! I felt a thrill when I started reading the cover back because it sort of sounded like the book I was trying to write and basically I wanted to read it to see how things went! It ended up being totally different from my idea (whew!) and being totally amazing!!
3. BITTEN by Kelley Armstrong--another series I decided to give a go to give me my paranormal fix! Loved it!


4. SOME GIRLS BITE by Chloe Neill--I was immediately drawn to this one because of that cover!! I mean you hardly ever see a heroine just wearing jeans and a tank top on the cover! And once I learned it involved vampires, I was sold!
5. DEAD UNTIL DARK by Charlaine Harris--so sad to see this cover update which takes out the Southern Vampire Mystery and replaces it with Sookie Stackhouse. This one sounded awesome because it was a MYSTERY series involving vampires!! Sadly towards the end the series lost its mystery element. It did try to bring it back in its finale, which was nice, but I wish it could've kept a stronger mystery element the entire time.
6. ILL WIND by Rachel Caine--Weather Wardens!! Another of my first adult reads I was immediately hooked by learning about people who can control or tame the weather. And then learning about the mysterious David? Oh sigh!


7. STRAY by Rachel Vincent--I picked this one up after a moment's hesitation, because it was shelved in romance. But when I saw three of my favorite authors praising the book with their quotes I immediately ran to the cash register at BORDERS!
8. FULL MOON RISING by Keri Arthur--I am pretty sure I started with this series of Keri's. Unless it was the Nikki and Michael one, which I picked them both up on my own, because paranormal!! This one was a bout a woman who was half werewolf and half vampire! So I was hooked right away!
9. ABBY COOPER: PSYCHIC EYE by Victoria Laurie--a psychic who's a detective! Well, sorta. She basically helps a detective solve a crime! I think I was truly drawn to this one because of the cute cover!!


10. TEMPEST RISING by Nicole Peeler--another one I picked up at BORDERS, just before they closed! Sob!! Literally before all the closing sales started! I was drawn to the cover, yet again and was intrigued with the newer paranormal characters involved, so I skipped happily to the cash register. (There was a lot of happy skipping in BORDERS!)






18 comments:

  1. There is nothing better than picking a book up on a whim and falling head over heels for it and the world the author built. Loved your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaand I wanna read The Immortal Throne! Fantastic pick, Jessica, I really loved that teaser :D

    Thanks for sharing, here's my TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe that's a good one. Although I pretty much know the story, I've never read Pride and Prejudice!

    Here's my TT: http://between-my-lines.blogspot.gr/2016/05/teaser-tuesday-16-stardust.html

    Athina @ Between my Lines
    http://between-my-lines.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love browsing at Border's and going home with random new books. I don't really do that anymore. I have read quite a few of the books on your list and enjoyed them. Great post!


    Carole @ Carole's Random Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I was close to digging way back hwen as well for my TTT this week but instead I split it between books I picked up and haven't read yet and books that I had picked up previously and did read. Glad you enjoyed most of these!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Immortal Throne looks so interesting; I hope you enjoy it!


    Here's my teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can remember picking up many of these, too, way back before I started book blogging, too. LOL. Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a cover girl but I'm pretty sure I know what book he picked up. I chuckled too. My YA teaser this week comes from The Hunt by Megan Shepherd. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of these! Great list! I really need to read the Kim Harrison books, I've heard nothing but good things and it's right up my alley! Here's My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list of whim books and I love the cover for The Immortal Throne. I am always attracted to covers with trees on them. :-)
    sherry @ fundinmental My TT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great picks. I have only read Dead Until Dark, which I read because of my love of True Blood :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Tempest Rising"! I don't know whether I loved that book or didn't like it at all. I keep remembering it both ways. I probably need to reread it again. Have you had a chance to read it yet? Thoughts?

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read several of the Sookie Stackhouse books and really enjoyed them, but I never made it halfway through the series. Great list! :D

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL! Cute teaser! Here's my teaser:

    http://rabbitearsbookblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/teaser-tuesday-4-everyones-favorite.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great teaser. I definitely want to read more!

    My TT from The Fireman

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooh I've seen the Charlaine Harris books but I've never actually picked one up. I might do that next time I'm browsing at the library!

    - Kritika @ Snowflakes & Spider silk

    ReplyDelete
  17. I started the Sookie Stackhouse series because of the tv show, but then loved it.
    Check out my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhh Halfway to the Grave is such a good book! And I loved Stray too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!