Aug 3, 2016

Mini Review--Morrighan by Mary E. Pearson

Before borders were drawn, before treaties were signed, before wars were waged anew, before the great kingdoms of the Remnant were even born and the world of old was only a hazy slate of memory told in story and legend, a girl and her family fought to survive.

And that girl’s name was Morrighan.

In this prequel novella to the Remnant Chronicles, a girl and a boy from enemy camps meet, fall in love--and set history in motion.








Mary E. Pearson's Morrighan was a quick little read but one that was filled with all the things that I love about her Remnant Chronicles! Naturally, though, I couldn't tell if we were supposed to already know about Morrighan and her role in Lia's world. But again, naturally, as I am wont to do, I just rolled with it!

Morrighan comes from one clan while Jafir is a scavenger, and basically comes from a clan that always take what they want whenever they want. These two meet by chance sporadically over the years from a time when they were little. And it's when they are older that they meet more frequently and deliberately. And soon, a friendship is formed which leads to something more.

I quite enjoyed their story. Despite not truly knowing the meaning behind it all and the connection to the series at large, theirs was an enjoyable little love story. A sort of Romeo and Juliet kind of romance with the whole forbidden love thing and meeting in secret. Though their ending still involved bloodshed. So take that as you will! ;)

There was something towards the end of this one that happened, that I can't help but feel is unfinished. I can't get into details, but something happened among the characters and I felt like one gave in too quickly and there's got to be something more to that...right? Perhaps this will be something that I see in the next book.

I plan to read Beauty of Darkness next and from what I hear, reading this one beforehand should be helpful to understanding parts of it. That shall remain to be seen I guess! Now hopefully I can uncover a recap of the last book, so I can feel better prepared for this one! Because as you know me, I can't quite remember the details to that one, only recalling the need for the this book way back then! Lol!


Overall Rating 4.5/5 stars




5 comments:

  1. Good to know that reading this book will help us understand Beauty - I was wondering about that.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been so conflicted about reading this!! I love the series SO MUCH but I've always been a little wary of short stories and novellas. Maybe I'll get around to it though. Great review!

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when authors add to the series with novellas -- I think prequel novels are a bit too much unless the author has a REALLY good idea for the backstory, but novellas are usually fun. I haven't read the Remnant Chronicles, but it's on the ever-growing to read list. :P Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the review and have seen it around. I like when the next book has a recap...refreshing my memory. I read so many books, sometimes they blend together. LOL
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven´t start this trilogy, but I own the first two books.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!