Aug 29, 2016

Review--Mortal Gods by Kendare Blake

Ares, God of War, is leading the other dying gods into battle. Which is just fine with Athena. She's ready to wage a war of her own, and she's never liked him anyway. If Athena is lucky, the winning gods will have their immortality restored. If not, at least she'll have killed the bloody lot of them, and she and Hermes can die in peace.

Cassandra Weaver is a weapon of fate. The girl who kills gods. But all she wants is for the god she loved and lost to return to life. If she can't have that, then the other gods will burn, starting with his murderer, Aphrodite.

The alliance between Cassandra and Athena is fragile. Cassandra suspects Athena lacks the will to truly kill her own family. And Athena fears that Cassandra's hate will get them ALL killed.

The war takes them across the globe, searching for lost gods, old enemies, and Achilles, the greatest warrior the world has ever seen. As the struggle escalates, Athena and Cassandra must find a way to work together. Because if they can't, fates far worse than death await.


It’s been too many years since I last read Antigoddess, so diving back into Kendare Blake’s Greek mythology series took a bit of doing. I couldn’t remember much that had happened besides the death of one of the characters—and if you haven’t read Antigoddess, be forewarned now that there will be spoilers of said death! Mortal Gods is the second book of the trilogy that will continue the journey of Cassandra and Athena as they try to take out Aphrodite, but in this installment, new players get involved on both sides and it’s basically bound to lead to one epic battle to come and leaving the victor immortal (in the case of the gods).

Athena’s goal in this one is to find Odysseus’s friend, Achilles, and basically kill him before Aphrodite can use him on her team. Odysseus is obviously not happy about this idea. Then Cassandra still mourns for Aidan’s death and wants to exact vengeance for him. And bring him back if at all possible. Then we have Andi and Henry growing closer and also learning to fight for the battle to come. Tension is high all over the place and it definitely adds some zest to the story.

I guess one thing that kind of left me upset was how very middle book this one ran. There was so much preparing for war going on, that I felt like I was dragging my feet trying to finish this one. Granted, it was still entertaining in sporadic moments. I never disliked it to a point. There were some very interesting developments, such as the addition of Achilles’ character, and then there was Calypso who has come to town to be with Odysseus, for she is madly in love with him. Ares joins Team Aphrodite as well, and I can’t remember if he was in the first book or not, but it was kind of obvious whose side he’d choose after all!

I really enjoy how Kendare used Greek mythology characters in this one. Not only do we have our gods and goddesses updated to a modern day teenage form (which is still a little odd, but whatever! Lol), we also get other heroes from the Trojan War, such as Odysseus, Achilles, Hector aka Henry, and naturally Cassandra! It’s quite fun! Though I can remember bits of The Iliad, it does become hard to remember everything what with two or maybe three different movie versions popping up in my head! And I think I only ever watched parts of the Brad Pitt one called Troy! So I definitely feel like my knowledge of the story has been muddled by too many sources!

There wasn’t a great deal of action in this one sadly. We do get some incredibly awesome fight scenes. Don’t get me wrong! I loved the bits that we got, but I felt like a lot of this book involved planning. Planning to take down Aphrodite. Cassandra has been itching to do this ever since Aidan was killed. She even talks about wanting to find him in whatever afterlife gods go to, thinking the Underworld is a great place to start. And this basically had me wondering if our Apollo (Aidan) is actually truly dead. Reading has taught me to never believe a character is dead (especially in paranormal books!)! Like I legit can’t truly believe the character is dead even when the body is right there on the page, because naturally, I feel like magic or other paranormal ways might get involved and bring said dead person back! Or maybe they weren’t 100% dead to begin with! Though I think I’ve only ever been right a few times in all my reading, but it’s enough to always leave me wondering! Lol!

The ending to this one was definitely more epic! As all “middle meh” books seem to turn out! Just when you think things might end a little flat with adventure on the horizon, you get an incredibly awesome battle scene! And it’s one to leave you with a lot of worrying questions! But thankfully, I am late to the game and the next and final book is at the ready! So I don’t even really have time to process all those questions, I’m just going to dive in! LOL! A lot of exciting and shocking things happened in those last two chapters or so and I am itching to find out their outcome and for the battle to end all battles…for real this time, to come to a head! Bring it on!



Overall Rating 3.5/5 stars




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!