Aug 16, 2016

Teaser & Top Ten Tuesdays

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by MizB of Books and Beat

Here are the rules:

1. Grab your current read
2. Open to a page
3. Pick out 2 lines that are SPOILER FREE
4. Name the title, author, etc.



"'Laia.' The word changes utterly when he says it in that voice, no longer a name but a plea, a prayer. 'If you want me to stop--'" p 294*


*This quote comes from the ARC, therefore it and its page number are NOT final.











TITLE: A Torch Against the Night
AUTHOR: Sabaa Tahir
PUBLISHER: Razorbill
GENRE: Fantasy YA
RELEASE DATE: August 30, 2016 


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


This week's topic is: Top Ten Books With School Settings


*in no particular order


10. BORN AT MIDNIGHT by C.C. Hunter--a summer camp for supernatural teens! Totally awesome! And the camp is eventually turned into a school so hence, school setting! ;)
9. HEX HALL by Rachel Hawkins--a sort of Harry Potter esque school for witches and whatnot. But with a different feel, just got the magic school vibe!
8. VAMPIRE ACADEMY by Richelle Mead--of course! THIS is the book that brought me back to YA. At the time there was 3 books out in this series, so naturally I binged them and cried and cried and cried and rocked in a corner for about 3 months or so until the next book came out. Which afterwards put me back in that corner but for a good year I believe!


7. REBEL BELLE by Rachel Hawkins--this one is just the normal school setting, yet complete with Harper trying to be the perfect debutante and still protect the life of a boy she loathes from assassins with her newly acquired super powers!
6. ETIQUETTE & ESPIONAGE by Gail Carriger--this one involves a school for young ladies to be trained into spies! It was a cute and quirky series but still had a nice dose of action!
5. THE NAME OF THE STAR by Maureen Johnson--a series that may or not not be still running as the 4th book has yet to be published. This one involves Rory going to boarding school in London and teaming up with other students to take down the nasty ghosts. Their first one being Jack the Ripper! :O


4. ISLE OF NIGHT by Veronica Wolff--this one involves a different kind of school. One where young girls are trained to be the protectors of vampires!! And the guys are basically trained to become vampires. Weird. But it works!
3. GET EVEN by Gretchen McNeil--one where a group of unlikely friends reap revenge on those who deserve it. Until someone decides they don't like the games the girls play! Dun dun DUN!!!! 
2. DEATH AND THE GIRL NEXT DOOR by Darynda Jones--think Charley Davidson but for teenagers! It's not quite a carbon copy, but it definitely rings that way at times, but it's still an incredibly fun series! And yup, takes place in high school a LOT!


1. HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE by J.K. Rowling--need I explain this one? ;)





 

19 comments:

  1. Love that tease, does he stop? Your top ten has a lot of my favorite series on it (Shadow Falls, Hex Hall, Vampire Academy, Rebel Belle, Etiquette, Death and of course Harry Potter).

    My TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a sucker for a school setting! I love a few of these series. I still need to read Born at Midnight. Fabulous list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for a list! Lots of picture books are set in schools since that's about all little kids know other than home! Thanks!

    Here's my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good teaser! Thanks for sharing it. And love your list. My Teaser this week is from a suspense title.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intriguing teaser!

    Mine this week is from Nerve by Jeanne Ryan, recently adapted to the silver screen https://wp.me/p3Nz8P-JD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great teaser! I hope you are enjoying the book. My YA teaser this week comes from Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert Beatty. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A new author for me and that cover sure grabs ya. Sounds like fun. And a great showcase of books!

    My TT from The Madonna Of Notre Dame

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your teaser! And love your list of books. I've been meaning to read Hex Hall for awhile now. One day!

    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes to Harry Potter! Etiquette and Espionage is on my TBR list and I'd love to read Get Even. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Teaser. Interesting. I love the cover for The Name Of The Star. I really need to get back to Darynda Jones series.

    Happy Tuesday
    JoLee

    My Teaser Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only one of these I've actually read is Harry Potter!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/16/top-ten-tuesday-70/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read quite a few of these and loved them! Definitely going to have to check out the ones I haven't read now :)

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a boarding school setting! It definitely makes for an interesting location and lots of opportunity for shenanigans with the characters. Great list!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was not aware that Jones had a YA series!

    ReplyDelete
  15. School settings are fun. I could do an entire list of just MG reads.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How about The School for Unusual Girls by Baldwin?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Harry Potter ♥ So many of the others you listed are on my TBR! I really want to read The Name of the Star! It sounds so interesting!! Great list :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh I love school settings... especially HP, Hex Hall, Etiquette and Espionage, and VA! Awesome list :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!