Oct 24, 2016

ARC Review--Heat by Alyssa Rose Ivy

Mara has power—power she isn't sure she wants, but after awakening a demon she has no choice but to embrace her abilities.

Ian will do anything to have Mara as his mate, but even he is unsure how to protect her from a danger like none he could have ever imagined.

When the heat is on, Mara and Ian will risk everything to find their way back to each other.

*New Adult Paranormal Romance*








I received this ARC from the author for an honest and voluntary review. I was in no way compensated for this review.


Alyssa Rose Ivy once again blows my mind away with yet another exciting and engaging Chronicles story! Heat is the second installment in The Grizzly Brothers Chronicles and continues the story of Mara and Ian. What I love about this series in general are the strong female characters. They’re always determined to get through things on their own, yet, they aren’t opposed to help from their heroes when it gets to that point. And a lot of our heroes are the alpha male types, which are always enjoyable! Especially when they start to fold once they meet said heroine! It’s a great balance I think and I love reading about these kinds of characters!

We pick up pretty much where we leave off; Mara has been kidnapped by Bryant on her way to meet Willem but first Bryant needs her help with something, something that’s likely to hurt his brother Jared and his wife, Vera. Bryant knows what Mara is, what her powers can do and he wants her to use them in his little plan. What said plan is, we don’t really know because first Mara has to learn what being a Seancer really means and Bryant has someone who will teach her all she needs to know.

In the meantime, Ian is going crazy trying to find Mara as she was taken right out of his arms. On top of that he has problems popping up that needs his attention due to him being the clan leader now, but his first priority is to find Mara.

Since we go back and forth quite a bit with these two characters, I felt like we learned a lot about the going ons with each of them. Mara and Bryant had quite a dialog build up between them. True, Bryant isn’t meant to be a liked character after his role in some of the other Chronicles story and he does want to do something terrible to his brother, but yet, I felt like we were starting to see a different side to him. He wasn’t nearly as malicious as I thought he would be. I mean we did see Toby do a total turnaround on us while he was somewhat nefarious in the beginning and then became a kinder guy when his and Casey’s story popped up. Both he and Casey make an appearance in this one too, which kind of reminded me of Toby’s character. So who knows, maybe Bryant has a story that will be told too somewhere down the line.

I also felt like we were seeing possible stories in the making surrounding some of Ian’s brothers. Granted, I initially thought this too when I read the first book of the series. That’s always the amazing part about reading a series like this that just keeps expanding with all its characters! There are so many potential stories just waiting to be told!

You might not think there’s much romance in this one, what with Mara and Ian being separated for a good chunk of time. And while there’s not a whole lot of romance, the moments that Ian and Mara do steal are made even more incredible and swoony because of it all. I still feel like things moved fast as they did just meet in the first book, spent some time together and even then Ian knew Mara was meant to be his and then we start throwing the L-word out there, but I’ve come to expect that in Paranormal Romances nowadays. Sure, I still find it odd that love can happen so quickly, but it’s something I’ve just become automated to accept in books, but still find silly too.

The ending was pretty awesome! It was filled with quite a few surprises and twists that I hadn’t anticipated. It leaves you with a nice feeling too, but also kind of scary in that I don’t know if this is the end of Ian and Mara’s story or not. Like I said, I could see Ian’s brothers getting a turn at their own books and still being a part of this particular Chronicles series, but I’m still unsure. Usually there’s some kind of hint to lead you into the right direction for the next book. And with how things ended, I feel like the story could go in so many different directions. Needless to say I will be pestering Alyssa about this shortly!

Once again Alyssa Rose Ivy brings yet another incredibly amazing and entertaining Paranormal New Adult story to the world, which truly doesn’t have enough books in that particular genre (the New Adult side to it)! She’s without a doubt my most favorite author of this genre as well and I implore you all to read some of her books! There’s so many Chronicles books to choose from, you can start anywhere really. But as always I will recommend starting at the beginning with Flight and work your way down the line! These are fun and engaging reads that seem to fly by quickly! You’ll be caught up in no time!

 
Overall Rating 5/5 stars

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!