Sep 14, 2012

Review--Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones

Charley Davidson, Grim Reaper Extraordinaire, is back in this sexy, suspenseful novel of supernatural shenanigans 

When Charley is rudely awakened in the middle of the night by her best friend who tells her to get dressed quickly and tosses clothes out of the closet at her, she can’t help but wonder what Cookie’s up to. Leather scrunch boots with a floral miniskirt? Together? Seriously? Cookie explains that a friend of hers named Mimi disappeared five days earlier and that she just got a text from her setting up a meet at a coffee shop downtown. They show up at the coffee shop, but no Mimi. But Charley finds a message on the bathroom wall. Mimi left a clue, a woman’s name. Mimi’s husband explains that his wife had been acting strange since she found out an old friend of hers from high school had been found murdered a couple weeks prior. The same woman Mimi had named in her message. 

Meanwhile, Reyes Alexander Farrow (otherwise known as the Son of Satan. Yes. Literally) has left his corporeal body and is haunting Charley. He’s left his body because he’s being tortured by demons who want to lure Charley closer. But Reyes can’t let that happen. Because if the demons get to Charley, they’ll have a portal to heaven. And if they have a portal to heaven…well, let’s just say it wouldn’t be pretty. Can Charley handle hot nights with Reyes and even hotter days tracking down a missing woman? Will Cookie ever get a true fashion sense? And is there enough coffee and chocolate in the world to fuel them as they do?

Here is your signpost for the most hilarious read of the summer: Second Grave On The Left.


Okay, so yeah due to the overwhelming-ness of my TBR mountain, I am now near randomly selecting books to read. And so it is with that, I decided to go with Darynda Jones's Second Grave on the Left. Mostly because I needed a laugh and Charley and Darynda definitely provide a much needed laugh! Several times.

I read the first book way at the beginning of the year I believe or maybe last year, so it took some time to remember what was going on with Charley. Luckily, Charley filled me in on the details without a wordy recap. And I quickly remembered what needed to be remembered.

I almost forgot how much I love this series, but again, it all came back to me rather quickly. Charley is most definitely in my top 5 favorite heroines! She is just so damn funny! And she can even kick a little ass! The things that come out her mouth...pure gold. Kudos, Darynda!

This time around Charley is rudely wakened up in the middle of the night by a presence throwing things at her head. Namely clothes, and it happened to be by Cookie, her neighbor, secretary and good friend. Cookie's friend Mimi is in trouble and she wants Charley to help her help her out. But first they have to find her, for Mimi is missing.

And so begins the wild wind journey of searching for Mimi. Turns out, Cookie and Charley--and Mimi's family, obviously--are not the only ones looking for her. For awhile I was wondering what it was that Mimi got mixed up in. Why on earth is she running or more importantly who or what is she running from?

It all spins back to one horrible night, in high school. Cue to dramatic music. High school is hell even for our favorite fictional characters. Which is usually pretty obvious, since most heroine do complain about a moment or two from high school.

There is also a major issue going on with Reyes. He is currently missing. His body is at least. Charley is determined to find it or him, even though Reyes does not want her to. But Charley is concerned since wherever his body is at, someone is torturing him. To get to her. Reyes and Charley are both pretty stubborn, so seeing them butt heads is pretty comical. Although I will admit to times being a little worried for Charley, because Reyes can be scary when he is angry. But I still melt at the love he has for Charley. It is so clear in the actions he does, even after he just threaten Charley in some way or another!

The ending, was pretty shocking. The mystery is solved, and wow...so did not see that coming! I mean it was a pretty last minute twist, but makes sense when you think about it. But there were also other surprises. One that was almost horrifying, but after an explanation from her father becomes a little less so. And there's a revelation among one side character we don't see too often. And oh yeah, a major uh-oh-oh-my-freaking-gosh! with Reyes! The kind where you go WTF?! But in a good way!

So yeah, my reading schedule just went Topsy Turvy. I was going to start this other book, but now I decided I have to go on ahead with Third Grave Dead Ahead

I so love this series! It's incredibly funny and witty! There's exhilarating action. Breathtaking romance--although received in small doses, but it just intensifies the love between Charley and Reyes. I really cannot think of one thing about this series I don't like! The characters are all fresh and fun! The plot is always enticing and there is usually more than one ghost Charley has to help out. And then there is the ever present problem that is Reyes and what his daddy is up to!

Second Grave on the Left is definitely one read not to be missed in this series by one Ms. Darynda Jones! Have at it people!


Overall rating 5/5 stars






2 comments:

  1. *high five* for the Darynda love! I adore Charley, she's awesome! And one of my favorite heroines too (right up there with Rachel Morgan;)). And Reyes... OMG, Reyes! *dies* I can't wait to read more, this series is always so entertaining!:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOO, I've got this one on my shelf and I too randomly select my books to read at the moment :) Can't wait to read this one, Jessica! lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!