Jun 5, 2021

Review--The Odd Sisters by Serena Valentino

 

Throughout the Villains series, the Odd Sisters have meddled in the lives of the Wicked Queen, The Beast, Ursula, Maleficent, and Mother Gothel, changing the course of fate for the greatest villains ever known. Now, it's time for their reckoning.

This latest novel by the author of the wildly popular Villains series goes deeper into the lives of the twisted, diabolical Odd Sisters, finally revealing the dark truth about who they are and where they're from. The Odd Sisters will appeal to fans who can't get enough of the mischievous sisters, as well as draw new readers to Serena Valentino's darkly fascinating take on the Disney Villains.

 

 

 

 

 

While waiting for my next book to come through in the mail I decided on a quick read of Serena Valentino's The Odd Sisters. I've really enjoyed the Villains series to date and remembered being excited for the odd sisters' book, the problem was trying to get back into the series and remember who everyone was. The previous books sort of follow the Disney movies we all know with a little bit of mischief behind the scenes. This book was basically all mischief! Lol. Though memories were faded, I still quite enjoyed this story and seeing Circe and her sisters' story progress.

Circe has bee keeping the odd sisters, or her mothers trapped in a dreamscape since their meddling has gotten a lot of people killed...ie all the villains we've already met. They've hurt a lot of other people as well, and Circe thought it best for them to be kept away from people until she could figure out what to do. Helping her is Snow White. The two have become very good friends over their adventures and Snow has been a huge help in trying to read through the odd sisters' journals to uncover anything that could help them help the odd sisters.

Meanwhile, Lucinda and her sisters, Ruby and Martha, are trying to figure out a way to get back to Circe. Despite everything, they really do love Circe as their daughter. They just want to all be together and live happily ever after. So much so that Lucinda has the idea to kill everyone Circe loves so that she has to come back to the odd sisters. Their plan is to raise Maleficent from the dead to help them accomplish this.

Naturally, things are pretty chaotic in this one. We do get a bit of backstory to how the odd sisters came to be and it was much darker than I thought it would be. What made things odd is how much love there is between Circe and the odd sisters, yet the odd sisters have a hard way of being loving to their daughter.

There are a bit of fairy politics happening what with everyone if faery from the three good fairies to the The Fairy Godmother, to the Blue Fairy are all trying to figure out a way to put an end to the odd sisters for good. It seems a fairy war might be in the making.

I'll admit that though I did enjoy this one, I found it was hard to get back into the swing of things. Reading about the other villains and seeing the odd sisters and Circe, and Snow, and the other fairies in the background made things move along smoothly and was interesting. To finally get the odd sisters' story was a treat, but it's also been over a year since I was last in this series so it was harder to get familiar with everyone again by diving right into the thick of things. If I were to be able to dive into the next Villains book I think I'd be at top notch, but other books are calling and I must go read them too! Lol.

Despite having a severe lack in memory I still found that I enjoyed this book. Perhaps not as much as I would've had I read it way back when it first came out and I was binge reading the previous Villains book, but what can you do? Lol. The Odd Sisters was a still an enjoyable and enlightening read and I can't wait to see what will happen next in this world when I get back to it!



Overall Rating 4/5 stars







No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!