May 24, 2010

Review--Succubus Blues


SUCCUBUS (N.)-AN ALLURING, SHAPE-SHIFTING DEMON WHO SEDUCES AND PLEASURES MORTAL MEN.

PATHETIC (ADJ.)-A SUCCUBUS WITH GREAT SHOES AND NO SOCIAL LIFE.
SEE: GEORGINA KINCAID.

When it comes to jobs in hell, being a succubus seems pretty glamorous. A girl can be anything she wants, the wardrobe is killer, and mortal men will do anything for a touch. Granted, they often pay with their souls, but why get technical?

But Seattle succubus Georgina Kincaid's life is far less exotic. Her boss is a middle-management demon with a thing for John Cusack movies. Her immortal best friends haven't stopped teasing her about the time she shape-shifted into the Demon Goddess getup complete with whip and wings. And she can't have a decent date without sucking away the part of the guy's life. At least there's her day job at a local bookstore--free books; all the white chocolate mochas she can drink; and easy access to bestselling, sexy writer, Seth Mortensen, aka He Whom She Would Give Anything to Touch but Can't.

But dreaming about Seth will have to wait. Something wicked is at work in Seattle's demon underground. And for once, all of her hot charms and drop-dead one-liners won't help because Georgina's about to discover there are some creatures out there that both heaven and hell want to deny...

Finally got around to finishing Succubus Blues, really I finished it earlier this morning but went straight ahead to my next book, which is not by the way, Moon Sworn, unfortunately. Currently I'm reading Joss Ware's Abandon the Night, one of my other freebies from RT. But moving on...

I was rather pleased with this series. I know some of my myths and lore rather well and knew what a succubus was before the book and was antsy about reading it, thinking there would be too much sex for my liking. However, I came to learn that Georgina is more of a reluctant succubus. She doesn't like what she is despite how she came to be a succubus, which we do learn as the book moves on with flashbacks here and there which were placed rather well. Her flashback moments are sometimes even noticed by others when Georgina spaces out for the moment.

Reluctant or not, Georgina must succumb to her succubus ways in order to survive. So she "feeds" when she has to, which is where the book opens up and the comical event mentioned on the BOC is what we encounter.

Georgina is rather likable and funny. Sassy too, she says what she's thinking, even if it is not the right thing to say. Her first encounter with Seth is rather comical as well, one I was able to deduce upon reading. Since the book is not new, if you've read it you might recall what I mean and if you will eventually read it, you'll know when you come across it!

I have to say I didn't really see the big mystery reveal coming. Don't get me wrong, I had a suspicion regarding the "culprit" but it was a different kind of suspicion. So I was right to suspect something, but I was wayyy off!

The mystery was a rather nice buildup too, something is attacking supernaturals and since Georgina and her friends are of that variety, they are possible targets. The reveal, as I said was shocking, not just the "who-done-it?" but the depth of the matter.

There are a handful of characters and they are all rather likable as well. Georgina has a handful of friends who are all witty and snarky, but you can tell there are strong bonds between them.

Seth was another character who was well-developed. His nervousness around Georgina was endearing. He seemed like a real person despite being a guy and most guys that I know would never allow nervousness to be a problem. So that was what attracted me to this fictional character, that he is different from the norm in a normal kind of way.

Overall it was a rather damn good book. Eventually I will get around to reading the other ones. Once or if I ever find a nice lapse between books and work and life and my own writing. Will be hard to accomplish, but will eventually have to do, because the ending while satisfying left me wanting to know more. Where the story is going to go next and since the next 4 are already out with the 6th and final book due next year, I'm at a good place to be.

I would love to say that I will finish Abandon the Night tomorrow so I can start one of my many anticipated releases tomorrow, but I fear it is unlikely because I have to work, literally all day tomorrow sucking out my reading time, and the time needed to buy my books. Will have to decide which Borders to go to, since my local one tends not to put new releases out on release day. Sad sigh...

1 comment:

  1. I adore this series. I also thought the book was going to be littered with smut and was so delighted that wasn't the case. Mead has become one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!