Nov 12, 2010

Book Blogger Hop

This blogger hop was created by Jennifer at Crazy for Books.

Here are the rules:
1. Enter your book blog link in the Linky List below (be sure to include how long you've been blogging and what genres you review!). If you post about the Hop on your blog, please link directly to your Hop post (don't forget to answer this week's question - see below!).
2. Visit other blogs in the Linky List! Make new friends! Follow new book bloggers! Talk about books! Rave about authors! (Please do not leave your link and not visit other blogs - it's just not cool and not in the spirit of the Hop!)
3. Post about the Hop on your blog! Spread the word about the book party! The more the merrier!
4. In your blog post, answer the following question (new question each week!):

"If you find a book that looks interesting but is part of a series, do you always start with the first title?"

My answer: Yes. Once I hear about a new series or just an old one that I've never read before I always go to book 1. Because generally things that happen in book 1 are important because it starts the series and I want to know what starts the series. Like recently with Karen Marie Moning's Fever series. Been hearing good things about it and went out and bought book 1 and LOVED it! Now I have to go buy the rest to read. The first book usually has what directs the main storyline and I feel like I miss out on things if I don't start with book 1. Like when I started reading Kim Harrison's The Hallows series, I mistakenly started with book 2, and there were constant references to characters and events I didn't know, so after a quick research I realized I was reading book 2, so I stopped and went out and bought book 1 and suddenly everything that I had previously read started to make sense!

So short answer is yes, I make sure to start with book 1 when reading/starting a new series.

14 comments:

  1. I am hopping in for the blog hop. I'm a follower, too!

    I very rarely hop into a series mid-stream. I like to start with the first book, too!

    If you have time, drop in and say hi at Manga Maniac Cafe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same as you. 1st book in the series for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - best to start at the beginning!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Thanks for stopping by on the hop! I'm returning the favor! My top commentators widget is now up and running. You're on the list! :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2010/11/book-blogger-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jessica, THANK YOU for coming by. I understand not reading too many other authors - in the same vein, I don't read much in other genres. We have to read so much and time only goes so far.... Steph Tyger Tyger Contest http://tinyurl.com/TyTyKHpost
    Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    email: steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    Twitter: @fangswandsfairy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you like "The Hallows" series? I love it, however, I will admit that I haven't read maybe the latest 2 releases, shame on me... ;)

    It's weird though, I have to start with book one, but if I go to a bookstore and see that maybe the third or fourth book in the series is on sale I will buy it, without having purchased the previous ones... I figure that having at least one book in the series will remind me that it is a great series that I can't forget about.

    Have a great weekend!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can dive right into the middle of a book series if the series' story
    doesn't run chronologically.

    That is to say, if each novel in a series is a stand-alone story (like Lee
    Child's Reacher novels) then I don't feel the need to start with book one.

    On the other hand, a series of books (like Richard Hatch's Battlestar
    Galactica novels) can't be read out of sequence since each new book builds
    upon the story of the previous entry in the series.

    Happy Book Blogger Hop Friday!

    Howard Sherman
    http://www.howardsherman.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not to picky about the first series, but like you said if I somehow end up starting with a book other then one and don't understand I'll go and find the first book. I've heard good things about the two series you mentioned I need to go out and find those books. happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Hon! Thanks for hopping by! if I read the second book by accident it will pratically ruin my chance of reading book 1 LMAO

    btw... Im planning on reading Darkfever soon! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent point. Book one is the foundation for everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a follower! Happy Follow Friday and Blog Hop!!!

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels
    Emma_Michaels@hotmail.com
    http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I am a new follower from the blog hop. it is great to discover book blogs out there and meet people that share the same affection I have for books. I look forward to reading your posts!

    Happy Reading

    http://www.bookinitalong.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!