Nov 2, 2010

Review--Heaven's Spite by Lilith Saintcrow

WHEN A NEW HELLBREED COMES CALLING, PLAYING NICE ISN'T AN OPTION.

Jill Kismet has no choice but to seek treacherous allies--Perry, the devil she knows, and Melisande Belisa, the cunning Sorrows temptress whose true loyalties are unknown.

Kismet knows Perry and Belisa are likely playing for the same thing--revenge. It's just too bad, because she expects to beat them at their own game.

Nobody plays vengeance like Kismet. But if the revenge she seeks damns her, her enemies might get her soul after all...

Finished Lilith Saintcrow's Heaven's Spite and found out that there is only 1 more book to this series. Curious to see what she writes next, but moving on.

It wasn't too bad, but I have to admit sometimes some of the language distracts me. I guess because of the setting, it's something futuristic like, but not entirely. An alternate reality almost and some of the concepts get lost on me, despite the glossary in back. But it still makes a GREAT read and has it's enjoyable moments where my attention is fully focused on the book.

Since it's been awhile since I read Flesh Circus, I can't recall what has happened already, but Jill is trying to get through life as always. Her hunter skills are tested more forcefully this time around and her deal with Perry also comes back into notice.

Someone is planning to summon a demon, one that can't be allowed to be raised. He's bad, naturally, and Jill is going to do everything possible to make sure he doesn't enter their world and destroy any gateways that were created to allow him or other demons access.

But then something else horrible strikes Jill, the people she cares for become in danger. And it is that factor that drives Jill to the point where she loses her sense and goes in fighting, guns ablazing.

There was a healthy dose of action and an incredible cliffhanger! Totally threw me through a hoop! Luckily there was a sample of the next and last book in the series Angel Town.

Overall I give the book 3/5 stars, a good read even though I got distracted here and there.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't even know that a new book had come out in the series- so yay!
    I love this series, I find it to be a gazillion times better than the Dante Valentine series, so I will def. have to run out and get it!
    Thanks for the review!

    Avery
    http://averysbooknook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!!! I really like this series but I agree... there is something about it that keeps me from simply loving it...

    I agree, Avery! this one is better than the Dante Valentine one =)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!