Nov 9, 2010

Review--Magic at the Gate by Devon Monk

ALLISON BECKSTROM IS A HOUND: SHE USES HER MAGIC TO FIND UNSCRUPULOUS MAGICIANS AND STOP THEM FROM FROM HARMING INNOCENTS WITH THEIR POWER. BUT EVERY TIME SHE CASTS A SPELL, SHE PLACES HER MIND, BODY, AND SOUL AT THE MERCY OF MAGIC, WHICH USES HER AS MUCH AS SHE USES IT...

Allie's lover Zayvion Jones, is a guardian of the gates, imbued with both light and dark magic, and responsible for ensuring those energies don't mix. But Zayvion lies in a coma, his soul trapped in death's realm.

To rescue him, Allie must follow the specter of her deceitful late sorcerer father, Daniel Beckstrom, who is more than familiar with death's domain. And when Allie discovers that the only way to save Zayvion is to sacrifice her very own magical essence, she makes a decision that may have grave consequences for the entire world...

Finished Devon Monk's Magic at the Gate today. I really couldn't put it down at all! Magic at the Gate picks up right where Magic on the Storm left off, which is a good thing, since Allie and her dad and Stone were just about to enter the other world, death! in order to save Zayvion's soul.

They didn't stay for as long as I thought they would, this is only takes up the first 60 pages. And the rest of what happens is just as exciting!!

I don't want to get too into what takes place but it's big and it involves everyone and has something to do with the disks that were mentioned in Magic on the Storm as well. Magic on the Storm set up the problems that occurred here and these events will likely only be the beginning to what's coming in future books!

And there was a lot of Shame in this book! Shame really started to grow on me in Magic on the Storm and having him back and right next to Allie during the thick of things was great! He was the comic relief for a lot of...or practically all of the intense moments when some laughter was needed! He can be very serious when the need calls though and I like that about him as well.

The action was well paced, for once Allie returns from death, the real problems start to occur that leave her running from one place to the next fighting for her life.

The only thing that saddened me about the book was that Zayvion was out for most of it. I won't get into the details again, but I needed me more Zay!

Overall I give the book 4.5/5 stars and I so can't wait to read Magic on the Hunt come April 5, 2011!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I LOVE this series, and Zay is one of my fave heroes ever!!!

    I bought my copy but havent had a chance to read it yet =/

    Larissa Benoliel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Devon Monk but I hear great things about this series! I really need to start it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!