Apr 12, 2016

Teaser & Top Ten Tuesdays

Teaser Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by MizB of Books and Beat


Here are the rules:


1. Grab your current read
2. Open to a page
3. Pick out 2 lines that are SPOILER FREE
4. Name the title, author, etc.



"Echo plucked a Scottish shortbread from the tin. It was a tad stale, but still buttery and delicious. She ought to put something in her stomach that had a main ingredient other than caffiene or sugar, but shortbread had the word "bread" in it, which meant it was practically healthy." p. 220*


*Quote comes from the ARC, therefore it and its page number are not final.







 
I love Echo's reasoning for eating the cookie! Totally reminds me of myself when I rationalize eating a cookie when I shouldn't. My reasoning usually involves "there's egg in the cookie, therefore, it's a good source of protein!" LOL!
 


TITLE: The Shadow Hour
AUTHOR: Melissa Grey
PUBLISHER: Delacorte Press
GENRE: Fantasy YA

RELEASE DATE: July 12, 2016



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list  that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.





This week's topic is: Ten Books Every Fairy Tale (Retelling) Lover Should Read 


*in no particular order


1. SNOW by Tracy Lynn--true this is the author of the current Twisted Tales series which isn't so hot. But I ADORED this one as a teen! It was one of my most favorite reads because I re-read it quite  a bit back then!
2. ENCHANTED by Alethea Kontis--this is a fun little series that is more fairy tale like than retelling! I need to get back to it!
3. DOROTHY MUST DIE by Danielle Paige--not necessarily a fairy tale, unless we do consider Wizard of Oz one, but this a pretty unique spin on what would happen if the heroine was more villainous! 


4. BRIAR ROSE by Jana Oliver--I looooved this one! Another unique spin on the Sleeping Beauty story!
5. PRINCESS OF THORNS by Stacey Jay--another Sleeping Beauty retelling, but more about what happens with Aurora after she wakes up!
6. STRANDS OF BRONZE AND GOLD by Jane Nickerson--one that's a retelling of another famous tale! Can't recall if it's said or not, so I'm not saying anything. But it was AWESOME!


7. GRIM edited by Christine Johnson--an amazing collection of Grimm tales retold in an even more grim manner!! Highly recommended!
8. CRUEL BEAUTY by Rosamund Hodge--a Beauty & the Beast retelling that is so remarkably done!
9. A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES by Sarah J. Maas--a beautifully retold B&B story but with faeries!!


10. NOCTURNE by Syrie James--and for the adult readers, a romantic Beauty and the Beast retelling with the beast as a vampire!! Tragically beautifully story!



 

29 comments:

  1. Nice list! I have Dorothy Must Die and A Court of Thorns and Roses, but still need to read them. I almost bought Briar Rose, but didn't after seeing a few bad reviews. However, I may still add it to my TBR now.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cookie reasoning. I think many of us rationalize in a similar way.
    COTAR - so loved that book. Can't wait for it's sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second time I have seen Cruel Beauty on someone's list, I may need to add it to My TBR pile.

    Love the teaser- I would totally go with it has the word bread in it.

    My Teaser

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the quote about shortbread - great fun:). I haven't come across this book, but the writing seems punchy and enjoyable. And I very much like your list of fairy tale retellings - I've just completed Cinder and really enjoyed it. Cruel Beauty and the Sarah J. Maas keep getting positive mentions - I MUST track them both down. Thank you!
    My TT this week is about an adventurous sneak thief... https://sjhigbee.wordpress.com/2016/04/12/teaser-tuesday-12th-april-2016/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a fairy tale retelling. Thanks for sharing your list!

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/04/inspiring-books-about-inspiring-people.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uses my same philosophy regarding Publix wild berry pie...there's fruit in there, and fruit is good for you!!! (I've read Maas' Court of Thorn and Roses. Personally, I liked her Throne of Glass series better.)
    My teaser this week can be found at: http://abookaddictsview.blogspot.com/2016/04/teaser-tuesday_12.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your list this week! Fairy tale retellings are the best and there are quite a few on here that I haven't read yet. :D

    Mel @ Reviews In A Pinch

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL I like how she justices eating it. Lovely cover art.

    My TT from Girl Of Mine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Nocturne several years ago. I know I own the Jana Oliver book and really hope to read Grimm one day. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree with her. My YA teaser this week comes from Mr. Fahrenheit by T. Michael Martin. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of a sudden I feel like having cookies... Here's my Teaser Tuesday.

    Your Top 10 list is also really great. I've added a couple onto my never ending TBR list. I love a good retelling. My theme this week is on books on parenting. You can find my post here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! Yes, bread is healthy :)

    Like your fairy tale retelling list too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still need to read Cruel Beauty, can't believe I haven't already. I kind of want to read A Court of Thorns and Roses and everyone keeps going on a bout how amazing it is, but I've never been a massive fan of the Fae, so I worry that I would start it and then not enjoy it. You definitely need the Lunar Chronicles on this list too! Marissa Meyer is the queen of retellings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like her way of thinking! LOL! Great teaser and great list. My daughter just finished Dorothy Must Die so I'm going to read it next. Here is my teaser: http://booklovingmommy.blogspot.com/2016/04/teaser-tuesday-what-dead-want-by-norah.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, you already know I love this topic!! XD ACTOAR and Cruel Beauty are two of my favorites! I still need to read Dorothy Must Die and Nocturne! Great list :D

    Here are my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do like fairy tales, so like your list/topic this week.

    Thanks for visiting my TTT post this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like me too. Haha Chocolate is good for you, right? :-)

    I didn't do a top ten list this week, but I enjoyed reading yours. What a great list! I'm copying down the titles so I can add the ones that aren't already on my wish list to it. I enjoy fairytale retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh I need to get a few of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Several of these are on my TBR.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/12/top-ten-tuesday-52/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome list! I love a Fairy Tale Retelling. I've not read any of these and now have a few more on my TBR list. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.

    Old Follower

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love retellings, and I definitely haven't read enough of them. Thanks for the recs!! I hope to read Princess of Thorns soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice list of books. I put a few in my list to read. They all look so good. I love fairytale reading. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh I love retellings so much! A few of these are on my TBR! I'm definitely going to check out the ones I haven't heard of :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'd say you clearly are a fan of Beauty and the Beast LOL. I really like Alice in Zombieland too. It may be one of my favorite retellings. I really want to check Dorothy Must Die out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great list! Will definitely check some of these out cos I love some retelling :)

    My TTT: https://bookishsya.wordpress.com/2016/04/12/top-ten-tuesday-books-every-cafe-lovers-should-read/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful list! I really need to try Dorothy Must Die already. That looks like such a fantastic series.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great topic! So agree with Cruel Beauty and ACOTAR and there are a bunch of books on this list I need to read!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this list! ACOTAR is one of the best. ;)

    Andy @ Once Upon a Twilight

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've missed lots of these, actually. Sigh - I want to read ALL the books of EVER!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete

Comments are an award all on their own! So my blog is an award free one! Thanks for any consideration though!